Jump to content

New video! Headliner pt 2


Recommended Posts

This has been quite a tricky job. Should be known that I haven’t done this ever and only have you guys, videos and articles to go off of. 
 

would love any tips and tricks and thoughts regarding how I’ve been doing this. 
 

enjoy! 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Overall you are doing a good job for your first time.  Looks like you are too far down the road  to make any changes unless you pull it loose. Several things I would have done different would have been to trim the excess bow pocket material off.  Also, I would of used more clips - windlace closer together.  Would help to keep some of the winkles out.  You should have left the visors off and all the trim screws alone under the headliner until you were completely done.  You want the headliner in and winkle free before you put the visors in and "cut" the screws out.  Working around the A pillar is a little tricky but you can get it so that when you put the trim on and visors in it will pull the any small winkle out.  Also, the sail area around the rear window is the same.  Do the best you can to get it tight and winkle free and then when you put the sails in they will press into the headliner pulling it tighter and smoothing it out in that area.  If you still have some very small winkles you can try a little heat.  I would only try this as a last resort. Be careful or you can melt the liner.   

Edit Add on - The green dash really looks great.  Can't wait to see it when you have the rest of the dash assembled.

Edited by Kilgon

Kilgon

 

 

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Kilgon said:

Overall you are doing a good job for your first time.  Looks like you are too far down the road  to make any changes unless you pull it loose. Several things I would have done different would have been to trim the excess bow pocket material off.  Also, I would of used more clips - windlace closer together.  Would help to keep some of the winkles out.  You should have left the visors off and all the trim screws alone under the headliner until you were completely done.  You want the headliner in and winkle free before you put the visors in and "cut" the screws out.  Working around the A pillar is a little tricky but you can get it so that when you put the trim on and visors in it will pull the any small winkle out.  Also, the sail area around the rear window is the same.  Do the best you can to get it tight and winkle free and then when you put the sails in they will press into the headliner pulling it tighter and smoothing it out in that area.  If you still have some very small winkles you can try a little heat.  I would only try this as a last resort. Be careful or you can melt the liner.   

Edit Add on - The green dash really looks great.  Can't wait to see it when you have the rest of the dash assembled.

Thank you! And thanks for all the tips, I agree there is a point where I reached of no return but as a whole I’m happy with it. Going back I agree there are a few things I would of done a little different but now I know for sure. I plan on getting my sail panels in soon so I can get my back glass in. In fact. Would you mind walking me through your back glass install or link to a forum post? I’ve read a few articles but would love little hints and tricks if you have them! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The following video is for a front windshield on a earlier model mustang but is pretty much the same due to that it uses a rubber gasket. There also is another link that will help you some also..  You will  want to get some closed cell foam tape to put on the window ledge first.  I would also put your trim clips on before you put the window in.   

MAKE SURE that you put the small metal "package trey" in first.  If you don't the window will have to come back out to get it in.  Center the window before you start.  Once it's in there is no moving it.  There was a couple of good install threads with pictures on the site but the links don't work anymore since the upgraded software.  In the below video they show using a rope caulk inside the outside gasket edge.  This is not needed.  The foam tape seals it.   I would put a small bead of caulking in the gasket channel the window goes in before I place it on the window.  A little extra insurance against leaking.   You will also be putting more caulking in between the gasket and the window once in place.

The foam tape is from McMaster-Carr.  Part number 8694K77 -  Blended EPDM with Adhesive-Back, 3/4" Wide, 1/4" Thick, 50'.   You can use anything similar if you don't want to order this but make sure you use good quality foam.  Remember this is creating a water tight seal.    Just follow the info and take your time and things will go well.  Not really that hard to do.   

 

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/124/3679/=1c2ueap

Mustang Windshield 1965-1968 Installation - Bing video   

'71-'73 Back Glass Install (mustangandfords.com)

  • Like 1

Kilgon

 

 

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, midlife said:

I'm glad you checked that you didn't pinch my wires...I'd hate to re-do your harnesses.

with such pretty work i didnt want to risk damaging them! but in case i tried to, there was some extra loom in areas that were a bit snug just incase ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Kilgon said:

The following video is for a front windshield on a earlier model mustang but is pretty much the same due to that it uses a rubber gasket. There also is another link that will help you some also..  You will  want to get some closed cell foam tape to put on the window ledge first.  I would also put your trim clips on before you put the window in.   

MAKE SURE that you put the small metal "package trey" in first.  If you don't the window will have to come back out to get it in.  Center the window before you start.  Once it's in there is no moving it.  There was a couple of good install threads with pictures on the site but the links don't work anymore since the upgraded software.  In the below video they show using a rope caulk inside the outside gasket edge.  This is not needed.  The foam tape seals it.   I would put a small bead of caulking in the gasket channel the window goes in before I place it on the window.  A little extra insurance against leaking.   You will also be putting more caulking in between the gasket and the window once in place.

The foam tape is from McMaster-Carr.  Part number 8694K77 -  Blended EPDM with Adhesive-Back, 3/4" Wide, 1/4" Thick, 50'.   You can use anything similar if you don't want to order this but make sure you use good quality foam.  Remember this is creating a water tight seal.    Just follow the info and take your time and things will go well.  Not really that hard to do.   

 

https://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/124/3679/=1c2ueap

Mustang Windshield 1965-1968 Installation - Bing video   

'71-'73 Back Glass Install (mustangandfords.com)

man i feel like i keep reading and hearing different things about using the foam tape and or sealant and process. however i suppose whats most important is that things are water tight and the trim clips in. Thank you for the videos and tips as always

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Trevynd said:

man i feel like i keep reading and hearing different things about using the foam tape and or sealant and process. however i suppose whats most important is that things are water tight and the trim clips in. Thank you for the videos and tips as always

No problem.  Glad to help.  Just use the foam tape on the window ledge.  Once the window is in use the sealant to fill in between the gasket and body and also between the gasket and widow as shown in the video.  This will make a nice water tight window.  

  • Like 1

Kilgon

 

 

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...