MT's GE's tyres

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Various
Yo ya'aaaal. 

I have now had two fastback 351 cleveland, FMX cars. The green one had Mickey Thomson's and the recent Red one has got aged, but happy Goodyear Eagle's ... I have to tell you all now .. the Mickey's are total poo, shit, shite, excrement, turds floating down the Thames...Arse gravy of the first water... or in your case (for Mericans) , "brown diarrhea excreted from the human ass, floating surface slime down the Hudson river"

The MT's were like ski's - especially in the wet. 

the Goodyear's have grip in the corners giving reassurance you'll not end up in the ditch.. or facing the other way. 

Never buy MT's ..ever....not ever... just don't.... "just say NO! "

A very COLOURFUL description to say the least. 

I can't really comment on the MT's, but I have always thought of those tyres as more for drag racing than street and definitely not in the wet. Maybe that's just my perception of the brand though. 

The go-to tire (tyre) this side of the pond seems to be BFG radial T/A's. Even though they are a decades old design, they sell a ton of them every day. Goodyear Eagle are good tires to. Some like Cooper as well. I've used BFG's exclusively on my Mach, but previous Mach's had Firestone and one had cross-ply pos. That was my first car over here, a 71 302 Fastback. (Oh, and I even have an original never-been-on-the-car Firestone E70-14 cross ply that came with my current '71 car)

I've commented before, but when I came over the pond in 73, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw the majority of US cars driving around on cross-ply tires. My cars in the UK used Goodyear G800 radials, had rack-and-pinion steering and disc brakes up front. The US were so far behind the European auto manufacturers in that regard back then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yo ya'aaaal. 

I have now had two fastback 351 cleveland, FMX cars. The green one had Mickey Thomson's and the recent Red one has got aged, but happy Goodyear Eagle's ... I have to tell you all now .. the Mickey's are total poo, shit, shite, excrement, turds floating down the Thames...Arse gravy of the first water... or in your case (for Mericans) , "brown diarrhea excreted from the human ass, floating surface slime down the Hudson river"
I am not totally clear, what was your opinion about the MTs? :lollerz:

I wish you would quit beating around the bush and tell us how you really feel about the the MT tires, lol. I do think Cooper makes them. I ran many different tires over the years for sure with over 2,000,000 miles and not a truck driver, lol. I burned through 5 sets of tires on my 73 Mach 1 in 12,000 miles. It came with Goodyear which I specified when I ordered the car. I ran autocross and so when they wore out I got Dunlop radials. They sucked. Then I tried B.F. Goodrich radials and again they sucked. My tire guy convinced me to try Gillette and they were actually pretty good tires. Then I went back to the Goodyears and they sill gave me the best autocross times.
The issue I had with the radials is that there is no feel to them. When they break loose boom you were gone in a spin. I hit concrete curbs twice running the radials. People in the crowd said the car almost rolled over could see the whole bottom of the car. Had to change control arms and ball joints twice because of the radial tires.
They are getting ready to eliminate the clover leaf exchange where we use to race and do what we called power sliding. They call it drifting today and no Japan did not invent. We were doing back in the 60's here. Here is a link to a video of them doing it and they thought they were doing something new.

A good friend had a Plymouth and I would get about one clover leaf ahead of him in one lap. So he went and got a new Datsun 240 Z and I still waxed him. He ended up burning the car on the Blue Ridge Parkway to get rid of it, lol.
I would love to go do this one more time before they change the interstate very soon.

Yo ya'aaaal. 

The MT's were like ski's - especially in the wet. 

the Goodyear's have grip in the corners giving reassurance you'll not end up in the ditch.. or facing the other way. 

Never buy MT's ..ever....not ever... just don't.... "just say NO! "
Well, without specifying which MTs I think you kind of answered your own question when you mentioned 'wet'. MT's are generally not a wet weather tire. I suspect even lower temps will compromise their ability. Nor are BF T/As. And age will really mess with them, no matter how good they are when new.  Years ago I had Goodyear Eagle GT+4's on my 70 fastback and then later on my 74 Opel Manta. I loved them. Great handling all year tires. So, of course, they quit making them. 

Any good Avons for older cars? Like maybe something for a late 70's DBv8?

I feel like quality control on Goodyear isnt what it used to be and I will never use them again. My daily is a BMW X3, and a set of Goodyears cost me a transfer case. Spent a bunch of money thinking it had a miss, until I found out it was the tires that were out of spec and causing problems. Swapped a different set of tires on and the problems went away, put goodyears back on and the problem was instantly back. Loving the Continentals I have now, and on the Mustang I have Coopers that are working good, and will likely see what BFG or Nitto have when I go to replace these. 

Back