Drivers side window. Side to side play

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
2000 F250-SD
2001 H-D FLTR
2004 GMC Denali
The drivers side window of my 71 has excessive movement form side to side.  The window rolls up and down smoothly. With the window up, the door closes fine. No leaks. I'm guessing my adjustment is o.k?

There is no up and down, or back and forth play in the window. Only side to side. Unable to post video because of size, even after compression. The two attached photos show the amount of side to side play.

Door play 1.PNG

Door play.PNG

Yep those felt guides are what puts the scratches in your glass. Have you checked the guide rod? I has two clips that snap in to keep the glass tight in the nylon guide on the rod. They come out and should be in the bottom of the door. I was cleaning some the other day. I use the Lucas Oil Red-N-Tacky #2 instead of the old white lithium grease that turns to rock after 40 years, lol. If the door glass rattles when you close the door the clip or clip is out.

Thanks for the reply.  Is attached photo the guide rod you speak of?

I see that the upper nylon guide may be missing  what I believe are anti rattle clips. Correct me if I am wrong. 

I had inspected the bottom of the door with a flashlight and mirror yesterday. There were no parts at the bottom of the door. 

If I am missing clips for the upper guide, what is there availability.  Used, aftermarket ?DF44A582-4860-4544-A937-473A3EF520F9.jpegd

I made a video that illustrates the movement. There’s a lot of movement!  I can’t upload the video but I think I could send it in a text message. If you have a cell number you could privately email to me, i will try to send the video

thanks

I took apart the passenger side door panel to compare. I see it has a different make/manufacturer beltline than on my drivers door.  Or, my driver side door is missing part of the belt line.

On the passenger side, the felt line is smooth, although you can see where several staples are attaching it.

On the drivers side, I can see several screws that are exposed along the length of the beltline.  Should this have a second layer that is attached by pushing in on staples.

Latest posts

Back