DIY Shock tower brace and Monte carlo bar

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robsweden

Reaction score
My Car
Mach 1 73 351c
Ive started to build my own, updates will follow. Started with plates on the shock towers 10mm steel :)

shocktower.jpg

You keep amazing me Rob!

As you make it that thick, am I right to presume that you will weld the shocks plates to it or make your own? Also as you kept "meat" on the back, will you place a custom brace from there to firewall as well?
Keep us posted!

It will adjustable with uniballs with steel tubing, and the back to firewall will be a custom brace. I know its a bit overkill with 10mm that what I had in store in the garage :)

Great to see others trying. I am working on mine based on Maier's (https://mikemaierinc.com/product/64-73-mustang/chassis/). His are not for 71-73, but I purchased their DYI kit, which I don't see listed anymore. I am dealing with some mods since I want it to be easily removable. Since I am adding coilovers I can't remove the 3 shock tower bolts without lifting the car. Therefore, I am working in adapting studs and making the plate to fit over the coilover top mount instead than underneath. I will eventually custom bend the tubing and custom make the firewall brace. The pre 71's have the firewall mounts in the same plane while ours are angled.

First brace/bar is ready just tached the fittings in the tube. They will be tig welded later. The airleaner fits with no problems. Today Il try to make the connection to the firewall. The bolt will be changed and everything will be painted :)

shock2.jpg

This is the bracket that will be against the firewall, correct angle and bends :) Will drill holes and attach pieces to it so I can attach the 2 braces comming from the shocktowers.

bracket.jpg

The bracket is nearly finished, I need to mount ears for the Uniball.

bracket2.jpg

Swedish Steel - could be a name for a nordic Power Metal band or... your thick and undestroyable material! Wow, that is thick! If anything will break - your front end not! Did a battery tray relocation in the trunk come already in your mind  :whistling: ?

First brace/bar is ready just tached the fittings in the tube. They will be tig welded later. The airleaner fits with no problems. Today Il try to make the connection to the firewall. The bolt will be changed and everything will be painted :)

View attachment 49612
What kind of air cleaner are you using? I like the straight routing between the carb and distributor. The problem would be with a tunnel ram plenum which it will probably interfere with.

What kind of air cleaner are you using? I like the straight routing between the carb and distributor. The problem would be with a tunnel ram plenum which it will probably interfere with.
Im using an edelbrock Airgap with the stock/aftermarket RAM AIR aircleaner. I have allready modyfied it once when I lowered it 1 inch. 

Is tight but i works, if I would choose to put the bar on top the brackets the aircleaner will hit the bar and needs modification.

aircleaner.jpg

aircleaner2.jpg

Im using an edelbrock Airgap with the stock/aftermarket RAM AIR aircleaner. I have allready modyfied it once when I lowered it 1 inch. 

Is tight but i works, if I would choose to put the bar on top the brackets the aircleaner will hit the bar and needs modification.

View attachment 49624
Sweet... in my case I moved the PCV filter inlet to the driver's side which would be right in the path of the rod. My PCV valve is on the passenger's rear corner.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet... in my case I moved the PCV filter inlet to the driver's side which would be right in the path of the rod. My PCV valve is on the passenger's rear corner.
PCV is on passanger side and inlet to aircleaner on Drivers side.

Nice. The tubes sure clean up the engine bay. The stamped steel OEMs don't look good and are always in the way.

Too bad you're so far away, I'd have you make some for me. Oh well, I've been wanting a new welder, mine is about worn out, repair parts no longer available, good excuse for buying a new one.

Back