Looking for help in North Texas

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SalmonTex

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
Bright Red
I've recently relocated to Texas from Michigan, where I had the engine rebuilt (And where the car is currently being stored). Wondering if anyone knows of good mechanics/shops to contact in the DFW/North Texas region to help get the car running. I was able to get the rebuilt engine/trans in the car and all hooked up, but never got it to the point of idling on it's own. It would stall at anything below 2,000 RPM. I'm looking to ship the car down here and want to get some help getting it running so I don't have to tow it between my garage and storage unit.

I'm fairly mechanically inclined, but am a bit out of my element when it comes to carbureted engines and would just like to find someone with more experience to trouble shoot it with me. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind or brand of carb do you have?  Different carb manufacturers have particular problems.  Sounds as though there may be a fuel flow problem from the pump or maybe your floats inside the carb need to be adjusted.

I can't help with local wrench but, congrats on moving from Michigan to Texas. You might contact a local Mustang club/ old car club for suggestions. A visit to the pits of a local dirt track or drag strip may yield some good leads. The same goes for Cars and Coffee gatherings. Good Luck, Chuck

What kind or brand of carb do you have?  Different carb manufacturers have particular problems.  Sounds as though there may be a fuel flow problem from the pump or maybe your floats inside the carb need to be adjusted.
It's the Summit Racing 750 cfm carb. All of the literature that came with it said that it should be configured correctly from the factory, so I have not messed around with it as of yet. I'm getting great pressure from the pump so pretty sure it's not that.

It's the Summit Racing 750 cfm carb. All of the literature that came with it said that it should be configured correctly from the factory, so I have not messed around with it as of yet. I'm getting great pressure from the pump so pretty sure it's not that.
You still need to set the idle RPMs and mixture screws with a vacuum gauge. If it still won't, you probably have a vacuum leak. 

Ok I will make sure to look into carb adjustments next. 

I did not measure the fuel pressure, but when we unhooked it from the carb it was spraying to the front of the engine bay when we cranked the engine, and filled a small container with fuel after only a few attempts to turn over the engine. 

Timing is set at 10 degrees full advance at 3,200 RPM.

Sounds like I may just need to invest in some pressure gauge tools :) Thanks for all the help everyone.

Hi, new member myself. Look up Mustang Sally MSP shows on Facebook. There are several every weekend or so and a big on the 24th at Bass Pro Shop in Garland. Lots of vendors and leads to get contact info in this area. You can hit me up there I have a tent for my law firm that will be set up next to the new to me Mach 1. 

Hi, new member myself. Look up Mustang Sally MSP shows on Facebook. There are several every weekend or so and a big on the 24th at Bass Pro Shop in Garland. Lots of vendors and leads to get contact info in this area. You can hit me up there I have a tent for my law firm that will be set up next to the new to me Mach 1. 
Thanks man, I'm in Murphy so that's quite the coincidence lol. Just need to get the car down here so I can pay someone with beer to help me get her running. 

Back