new tool opinion

Recently read on here about people using a borescope to look at things otherwise normally hard to see. I bought this from amazon and it seems reasonably priced or cheaper as compared to others for sale. It connects to your phone (depending on type) and works pretty good actually. I can see where it would be good looking into sparkplug holes or under the dash where its hard seeing things.

The question I have is related to the "waterproof" feature. You think it would it be safe to look into a radiator or gas tank?? Checking for internal condition, debris, fuel sock condition etc...

Edited by SteveO_71

It should be water proof since they are typically just a fiber optic. However, the visibility could be pretty bad. Also, I don't know about gas since it may eat away the plastic. Before putting it into a fuel tank or radiator I suggest to test it first in a separate container.

• Like 1

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

I would also be concerned about a spark. The borescopes have a built-in light, doesn't take much of a spark to set off gas fumes if the plastic is compromised by the gasoline or a crack.

• Fist Bump 1

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

23 minutes ago, Don C said:

I would also be concerned about a spark. The borescopes have a built-in light, doesn't take much of a spark to set off gas fumes if the plastic is compromised by the gasoline or a crack.

Good point.

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

I have one that I bought off eBay or Amazon a couple years ago. Pretty useful, plugs into your device and you can take snapshots or short videos. 

Posted (edited)

Good point about a possible spark! Here is the one I bought off Amazon in case anyone is looking for an affordable one. Forgot to include the link in my original post.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07C9C6P5D/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by SteveO_71

I have an old one and the picture quality is poor. How good is the picture quality on these new one? Chuck

I have two, the older one has it's own display, better picture, display not high-res, but the camera end is about 1/2" diameter. The new one is about 1/4" diameter, picture is OK, just a very short in-focus distance, connects to my phone or tablet, so the display is much better quality than the old one.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein