Anyone running other / different Ford / other rims ??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

724me

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible - Current Project. Almost 30 YEARS since my last Mustang !

1968 Mustang 6cyl to 351 swap 1984-1990 (boy do I miss it).
1979 CAPRI RS Turbo 2.3 / 4-speed 1986-1988 Daily Driver
1984 Mustang GT - Manual - 1988-1992

Anyone running other Ford Rims on their Mustang from cars such as Cougar, Torino , other cars ?

I've seen a few 71 - 73's with the GT 10 hole style rims that I like (as an example) and various other old rims of the era.  I'm looking for something a little different than say a newer mustang 5 spoke with spacers or other 5-spoke rims etc.  (Although that' pretty much what I may wind up with).  I do also like the magnum 500's and that's another rim that I'm leaning towards, but I'm just trying to get other ideas and think outside the box a little bit.  I'm kind of wondering if there's some other factory style ford / mercury etc rim that may be appealing / different.  (Hey maybe even Dodge !  - Ooops, did I just say that out loud ???  :)

I'd rather stay with 15's on this car, but I'm not completely married to that, i'm flexible.  I don't much care for 17" + rims and low profile tires on this particular car.  Maybe it's the body style, but i just keep leaning toward a 15" with some sidewall / traditional look . I've done a C3 Corvette and 68 Camaro Resto Mod type project and I'm not looking do do that this time.  Pics would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the Crown Vic HPP 16" basket weave alloys from about 20 years ago.

Nice looking wheel with a little more lip/dish to them than most modern wheels. Not a huge fan of flush face wheels on older cars.

Also, from Australia, the Globe Bathurst rims used on the Falcons. Looks really sharp with red line tires.

I'll check out those Crown Vic rims.  Thanks.  That's kind of what I'm looking for - some "different options" just in case.

I was checking out that chart that Dodgestang put together.  Lots of good info there / different cars with same bolt patterns etc.  (Didn't realize some of the Ford Full size cars had the same bolt pattern center hub size). Depending on backspace, there could be some options there.

All this research and I'll probably just find a set of old school aluminum slots !  (Which I think look good on these cars)...

Hard to beat aluminum slots...nice and simple, not too shiny.  

Here's a pic of the HPP wheels...and the old Ford Milano with wheels similar...

1970_Ford_MustangMilano-0-10241.jpg

93-96hpprims.jpg

And the Globe Bathurst wheels from Australia. They come in various widths and diameters.

ford-falcon-xa-gt-2.jpg

globe-mag-wheels-970x440.jpg

Hard to beat aluminum slots...nice and simple, not too shiny.  

Here's a pic of the HPP wheels...and the old Ford Milano with wheels similar...

View attachment 49747

These look almost identical to the rims on my 1991 Jag XJ-S.  

I don't think I've ever seen a picture of that car.  Very Cool.  I'm guessing that was a concept car?  The front grille reminds me of a Barracuda.

Yep, very similar to the Jag wheels. Not sure what the bolt pattern is on the Jag, but I'm sure the offset/backspace is different.

The Milano was a cool concept from Ford. The front is totally 69-70 Shelby Mustang. I keep seeing elements of 69-70-71 in the rest of the body.

ford-mustang-milano-4.jpg

These are 16" Crown Vic rims. I then added some VW clips to hold the dog dish hubcaps. I will swap to a slightly lower profile tire in the future.

WP_20150510_001.jpg.fb6483ef9bbae9f6350b8033d0e204ff.jpg

P_20171012_180755.jpg

Attachments

• P_20171012_180755.jpg
    P_20171012_180755.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 2
Have any side pics? I like a decent amount of sidewall, but even with 15s the wheels can start to look small compared to the tire. 16s look like a good balance.

Hi 724me,

These wheels were used in Australia on the GT Falcons and look great.

They are called Twelve Slot Chromes - I have them for my 1971 restomod

currently being completed.

Like all of these steel wheels, they are made in China but my supplier in Australia

has has strict quality control - these are very popular down here for a lot of the

early Fords - the Falcon two door came from the 71-73 Mustangs.

They cost me AUD$1100.00 

Melfunctions

20200527_161506 (1).jpg

Back