POWER STEERIN UNIT REPLACEMENT

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yancy55

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351 - original owner
would like to change out my power steering pump assembly and case for a 71 Boss 351. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I could obtain the entire unit with cooler or do I have to purchase the cooler separately? thank very much in advance.......Jim

Pump can be rebuilt, reservoir can be swapped over unless it's damaged. There's nothing special about a Boss 351 pump, cooler or steering box other than it's the variable ratio Saginaw unit. The pulley is 6 1/4" diameter, marked D0OR-B.

You can send your pump to Dan @ Chockostang for a rebuild

http://www.chockostangclassicmustang.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Realize I can rebuild the pump but my issue is the "reservoir". It is the original and after 50 years is getting pitted and rough looking although it has never been damaged.....Thoughts?

Realize I can rebuild the pump but my issue is the "reservoir". It is the original and after 50 years is getting pitted and rough looking although it has never been damaged.....Thoughts?
Refinish it, easy peasy. Your choice of course, but I don't think those have part numbers if that's your concern.

How would you do that??
 The can will be off while the pump is rebuilt, Clean it, sand it prime with a high heat grey primer and paint with a suitable high heat engine semi gloss. I forget which one I used, but likely it was Dupicolor. If you're extremely fussy, some research into the correct sheen and texture is in order. I'm not that person, so for me close enough is good enough, but don't get me wrong, it's damn close.

Good luck with it. A one owner B351 is something to behold.

Edit; Forgot to mention the obvious, prime it then sand it, prime it again and sand again if necessary to get the surface just right. Let the primer cure for a day or so, then paint it. I do not mean to be condescending here so please don't take this the wrong way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks my friend.................

Back