Happy 50th!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7173Vert

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible, 1973 Hardtop
March 26, 1971 this car rolled off the assembly line...

8690CC73-5121-4ED9-9C2C-6C3BD18BCED6.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy Birthday.  Very nice looking.  Amazing to think that it is in as good of condition or near it as when it came off the assembly line 50 years ago.   

Happy birthday!  That looks absolutely amazing - always.

Happy Birthday as well from myself and my 50 year old Mustang.

I still have the copy of Mustang Monthly with that car on the cover as it was found. It sure looks way better now.

Happy Birthday as well from myself and my 50 year old Mustang.

I still have the copy of Mustang Monthly with that car on the cover as it was found. It sure looks way better now.

724B50EE-4546-4812-945A-FE209DF11338.jpeg

Yes, the AZ plates came with the car. I might install at a car show sometime...

I remember a 71 429 convertible that color in Tucson back in the mid to late 70s.  The guy that owned it (nice guy, a couple years older than me) and I would talk occasionally when we used see each other cruising Speedway Blvd. on Friday nights, or just around town.  He was pretty hard on it!  At one point he was looking for another convertible he could put a 429 in and hot rod up some.  My 72 Q-code convertible (that I still have) looked similar in Wimbledon White w/black Ram Air hood so we had something in common.  

I remember a 71 429 convertible that color in Tucson back in the mid to late 70s.  The guy that owned it (nice guy, a couple years older than me) and I would talk occasionally when we used see each other cruising Speedway Blvd. on Friday nights, or just around town.  He was pretty hard on it!  At one point he was looking for another convertible he could put a 429 in and hot rod up some.  My 72 Q-code convertible (that I still have) looked similar in Wimbledon White w/black Ram Air hood so we had something in common.  
Interesting. I would suspect this would be that car then. Very few made and the odds of another Pastel Blue 429cjr convertible in Tucson at that time would be high... The car was apparently taken by his son who moved it to The Spokane, WA area and stored in the barn for years as seen in the Mustang Monthly Cover page. A local dealer bought it from him and I then purchased it from the dealer. I wanted to touch base with the Son to discuss the history of the car, but the dealer would not give me any info... As you note, the car was in Tucson in the 70’s and based on the condition I received it in, it had been driven hard in its previous life... Thanks for the note.

Don't know if this will help, but I believe that in some states their Bureau of Motor Vehicles will provide information on previous owners to the current owner.  Worth a shot anyway.

Mac

Don't know if this will help, but I believe that in some states their Bureau of Motor Vehicles will provide information on previous owners to the current owner.  Worth a shot anyway.

Mac
I did contact the AZ Dept of Motor Vehicles. No dice... Similar privacy issues as here in Ontario, Canada. Didn’t try the WA State office, figured it would be the same. You hope someone sees the car like Sheriff41 above did and they provide their recollection.

Interesting. I would suspect this would be that car then. Very few made and the odds of another Pastel Blue 429cjr convertible in Tucson at that time would be high... The car was apparently taken by his son who moved it to The Spokane, WA area and stored in the barn for years as seen in the Mustang Monthly Cover page. A local dealer bought it from him and I then purchased it from the dealer. I wanted to touch base with the Son to discuss the history of the car, but the dealer would not give me any info... As you note, the car was in Tucson in the 70’s and based on the condition I received it in, it had been driven hard in its previous life... Thanks for the note.
Small world.  There was actually another 71 429 non-ram air convertible in Tucson at that time, also.  It was the same color (did not have the black on the hood) with white interior and had an automatic transmission.  I was a mechanic at the time and a customer of ours, a doctor, owned it.  Yours is a beauty!

Small world.  There was actually another 71 429 non-ram air convertible in Tucson at that time, also.  It was the same color (did not have the black on the hood) with white interior and had an automatic transmission.  I was a mechanic at the time and a customer of ours, a doctor, owned it.  Yours is a beauty!
Wow. Tucson was the 429 Vert Capital, or the  Pastel Blue Capital... Of the 42 - 71 429 convertibles produced, 4 were Pastel Blue. That’s a pretty high % for a colour that wasn’t really that popular. Yes, the blackout on the hood and the hood locks were part of the J Code ( Ram Air option). Wonder where that car wound up, sounds like it was treated better then mine...

Wow. Tucson was the 429 Vert Capital, or the  Pastel Blue Capital... Of the 42 - 71 429 convertibles produced, 4 were Pastel Blue. That’s a pretty high % for a colour that wasn’t really that popular. Yes, the blackout on the hood and the hood locks were part of the J Code ( Ram Air option). Wonder where that car wound up, sounds like it was treated better then mine...
Ha!  Sorry, I meant the same color as mine, Wimbledon White.

Back