160k Mach1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You beat me to it. :) 

Here it is with a picture. I just had enough time to snap a pic. Didnt catch all the sale or particulars of it. What I did hear was 429.........just couldn't get my thoughts off the rising price.  160k  Focus :) 

They even said the bad word........BIG mustang but it didn't matter. Proof is in the pudding or this case the price.

71 mach 1  160k  3-26-20 429.jpg

1971 mach 1 barret jackson 3-26-20   160k.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Galucha

I noticed your car has the clock delete plate in the console. Also the clock in the dash. My 71 mach has the same. Ive been told both of these are a rare item in a automatic car.

Hi Galucha

I noticed your car has the clock delete plate in the console. Also the clock in the dash. My 71 mach has the same. Ive been told both of these are a rare item in a automatic car.
Man I sure wish that was my car lol. That's the car that sold at barrett jackson today.

Ha, Ha you got me :)   

For some reason I thought that was your car. My friend has a car like the one that sold. He showed up one day in front of my house and said......take it out and let me know how she handles. I did just that. His car has 72k miles on it and is 100% original. Has 351c not the 429

casey mach 71.jpg

casey 72 mach1.jpg

72 mach 1 casey.jpg

I noticed in on one of the pics the center console, around the clock and shifter, has the very early and rare wood grain insert. You don't see that very often.

245713_Interior_Web.jpg.e3dfd24056de5c20ee60bddb45026928.jpg

245713_Misc_61d0d7e8-6715-438f-9afe-0a8de2a290a4_Web.jpg

As I watched the car go thru the bidding, I kept thinking "that rear spoiler does not look like it's mounted correctly".   Maybe it was the angle the camera  was at.  I would appreciate someone confirming it's in the right location as shown.

$170K has to be high water mark for 71-73 years.   Overall it seems buying prices are up across the board with this B-J auction and the recent Mecum.   Possibly pent-up $$$ being spent after a year of Covid sequestration?

Hi Galucha

The console clock delete plate was used when the Mach 1 sports interior was ordered with the console, and the optional tachometer wasn't ordered. No relation to automatic or manual transmission. Luckily Ford stopped that nonsense in 72 and the tach was made part of the instrumentation group and M1 sports interior. 

Gorgeous car, lots of mistakes in the restoration for the price paid. Funny how all those colors everyone hated back in the day are now the hot ticket....

THAT would be my dream car. But not for 160K.

Back in 1972, I saw my very first Mach 1. It was Grabber Lime, black interior etc. etc. and I fell in love! That was in Birmingham, England. Since moving to Canada in 73, I've owned 3 351C Mach 1's and a 302 fastback.  The Grabber Lime has eluded me though.

As I watched the car go thru the bidding, I kept thinking "that rear spoiler does not look like it's mounted correctly".   Maybe it was the angle the camera  was at.  I would appreciate someone confirming it's in the right location as shown.

$170K has to be high water mark for 71-73 years.   Overall it seems buying prices are up across the board with this B-J auction and the recent Mecum.   Possibly pent-up $$$ being spent after a year of Covid sequestration?
Pretty sure a 429scj Mach (Kurt Fryer) sold for close to $190 at Mecum Indy in 2016, I believe... Don’t quote me ))

First thing I noticed was the spoiler as well.  Mounted way to high on the deck lid.    Must be an early VIN with the woodgrain console trim plate?

bj mach.png

The people spending that kind of money have no clue as to what is correct on incorrect. The spoiler is for sure wrong and the hood latch bracket is not Slop gray something way lighter. Not even a half days pay for a rich man. They have ruined the old car hobby for us poor guys, lol.
Was at the PITS show this weekend and guy came over to me and Brian showing pics of a 71 that he says just sits there. Could possibly be a 429 looked like at least a 71 Mach 1. I think Brian is going to pursue. I need to sell not buy, lol.
BTW at the show they had an autocross there were lots of new Boss and Shelby mustangs in it but a Fox body won it.

ya i think the saturday nite was for billionaire's only... i could not believe the prices on some of the cars... and the Hummer for charity went for 2 1/2 million bucks... the #1 vin of 2022 mustang went big too...

I restored a 1971 Mach 1 in Grabber Lime some years ago--every nut and bolt: rebuilt the 351-4v M Code, C-6 tranny, and repainted the entire car. It had functional 3-spoke rim blow steering wheel, black deluxe interior, Ram Air, AC, full console, roll down rear windows, 650 Holley, Magnum 500's, etc. But the Grabber Lime was not so popular at the time, I reckon. Only sold for 20k. Hard to fathom the selling price of $160K. 

Mach 1 1971 Grabber Lime 351 M Code Engine Bay.jpg

Mach 1 1971 Grabber Lime M Code .jpg

I restored a 1971 Mach 1 in Grabber Lime some years ago--every nut and bolt: rebuilt the 351-4v M Code, C-6 tranny, and repainted the entire car. It had functional 3-spoke rim blow steering wheel, black deluxe interior, Ram Air, AC, full console, roll down rear windows, 650 Holley, Magnum 500's, etc. But the Grabber Lime was not so popular at the time, I reckon. Only sold for 20k. Hard to fathom the selling price of $160K. 

View attachment 49933

View attachment 49934
I'd have bought that Grabber Lime Mach 1 in a heartbeat!! 

Thanks Geoff.

I added one feature to that particular Mach 1 that was entirely unique. Instead of having the Ram Air flappers open up by putting the pedal to the metal, I added a manual operated cable, attached to a knob (identical to the light switch knob) below the dash; so I could pull on the knob and open the Ram Air flappers and close them without increasing RPM. I added a rear shot of same car

PICT0109.jpg

PICT0104.jpg

Thanks Geoff.

I added one feature to that particular Mach 1 that was entirely unique. Instead of having the Ram Air flappers open up by putting the pedal to the metal, I added a manual operated cable, attached to a knob (identical to the light switch knob) below the dash; so I could pull on the knob and open the Ram Air flappers and close them without increasing RPM.
I did the same thing but with a electric vacuum switch.

Back