New Owner VIN Decoding Issues

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jokerman2k

Reaction score
Afternoon Everyone,

New member here.  Owned Mustangs before but have been more on the Vettes and Camaro Forums.  So I just snagged a great deal on a 1971 Mustang Mach 1 (at least that's what it looks like).  I was looking up how to decode the VIN on the Mustang.  What I first found is that there weren't enough numbers listed.  Found that was because VIN numbers increased in 1981.  Then I came here and found a few members posted a VIN Decoder.  Well tried and it came back I have a "convertible".  Pretty tricky if it is, they did a good job putting a hard top on it.  Just trying to find out as much about it as I can, if you can help here is the VIN from the plate on the dash:

1F03F105593  Looks like it was originally Green (now house painted white).

Thanks,

Afternoon Everyone,

New member here.  Owned Mustangs before but have been more on the Vettes and Camaro Forums.  So I just snagged a great deal on a 1971 Mustang Mach 1 (at least that's what it looks like).  I was looking up how to decode the VIN on the Mustang.  What I first found is that there weren't enough numbers listed.  Found that was because VIN numbers increased in 1981.  Then I came here and found a few members posted a VIN Decoder.  Well tried and it came back I have a "convertible".  Pretty tricky if it is, they did a good job putting a hard top on it.  Just trying to find out as much about it as I can, if you can help here is the VIN from the plate on the dash:

1F03F105593  Looks like it was originally Green (now house painted white).

Thanks,
03 is definitely the code for a vert. 05 would be a mach 1.  You need to do some digging on if that's the actual vin for the cat or the piece that it mounts to was replace from a vert. The vin is in a few spots on the car. Here is a video I did not watch it all but some information

The VIN is riveted to the upper dash panel, and comes out of the car with only a few screws. It wouldn't be the first car that had the VIN swapped, either by accident, or intentionally.....

Also, is the door data sticker still there? it too has the vin, but again doors can get changed. What your VIN shows is a 71 vert with a 302 and a low sequential number, so it would likely have been an early build date. 

While you're here, if you have not done so, please go to Introductions and introduce yourself and some details on your new ride. We LOVE pictures too.

Welcome from SW Ontario Canada. All the help you'll ever need is here.

Last edited by a moderator:
The door sticker is a certification only as stated on first page of Ford manuals. The dash is the VIN# required I think starting in 1967 so police can see with door closed. The left and right inner fender panels should have the VIN# stamped right over the front spindle. Some DOT require you to pull the fender to verify.

Ok so I found a different VIN Number on the door tag:

It shows 2F02F10766

Now I'm even more confused.  Why is this different then the dash tag?  I know the dash tag is original (no tampering), so why would these be different.  Haven't taken the fender off yet to see what the tie breaker is.  But this is going to be tricky with the DMV.

Thanks,

As Hemikiller has already stated, the VIN tag is attached to the upper dash panel. The upper dash panel IS EASILY REMOVED WITH A FEW SCREWS. Just because the tag itself appears to have the original rivets does not mean that the dash panel itself has not been swapped for one from a different vehicle.

You will need to remove the passenger side front fender and see if the partial VIN is stamped into the underlying sheet metal to try and determine what the correct VIN for the car is.

Definitely time to pull either fender, or even both. This car is a bitsa, bits-a-this and bits-a-that! Once you have the body stamped VIN partial, you can get a basic Marti report. You could tell "Marti" that you suspect it to be a Mach 1, 05, but it also could be a fastback 02. The fender stamping will tell you the year. See pic of mine a 71. 

Apron VIn_L2.jpg

Ok so I found a different VIN Number on the door tag:

It shows 2F02F10766

Now I'm even more confused.  Why is this different then the dash tag?  I know the dash tag is original (no tampering), so why would these be different.  Haven't taken the fender off yet to see what the tie breaker is.  But this is going to be tricky with the DMV.

Thanks,
 So that one shows it "to be" a 1972 fastback with a 302 and again a very early sequential number.

What VIN is on the title/bill of sale with the car?   Probably the vert #.  They had a good title for a vert but didn't have a title for the fastback, so they swapped the the dash and paperwork.  Now you have a problem. Unless the guy you bought it from has some paperwork for the fastback VIN.  Good luck. Hopefully its not stolen. And someone is trying to hide some shady shit.  

What VIN is on the title/bill of sale with the car?   Probably the vert #.  They had a good title for a vert but didn't have a title for the fastback, so they swapped the the dash and paperwork.  Now you have a problem. Unless the guy you bought it from has some paperwork for the fastback VIN.  Good luck. Hopefully its not stolen. And someone is trying to hide some shady shit.  
 Kevin, I agree, something is not right here the more I think about it. He must go back to the seller for an explanation and maybe his money back. The VIN under the fenders is the only way along with the buck tag if still there, to identify this car. Chances are the seller had no idea there are other numbers on these cars.

+1 with the two above.  My suspicion is that it is a 72 sportsroof being passed off as a Mach 1.  My brother had the same thing happen to him.  Not knowing the difference he was told it was a mach 1 when it was just a sportsroof with the mach 1 decals.  He went to his grave never knowing the difference.  I found out it wasn't a mach after I got the car and decoded the vin.    Also,  as mentioned you could have a major issue if the dash vin is what is on the title.   Good luck.  I hope things work out for you.

I find it so frustrating that so many hobbyists always assume the dash plate HAS to be original to a car.  After decades of UV exposure and other abuse, many original dash pads dry out, split, and become something no one wants in the car.   Replacing it with something from a junkyard or picked up swap meet or online parts sale was the path of minimal effort for previous owners and shops.   Jokerman2k now has a real problem with non-matching title to actual vehicle VIN.  I wish him luck on resolving things.

Thanks for all the grave outlooks.  Specially the one about the "hobbyists", when I just completed the attached.  Not sure many hobbyists can do this all by themselves.  Even paint.

But I have owned Mach 1's before as well.  Hope to do just as good a job as this on my trouble titled Mustang.  I'll take the fender off and let you know what I find.

Vette 031620-7.jpg

Thanks,

Update:  The door tag shows Body Code of 63D = Sportsroof, w/Standard Interior, Buckets.

I'll know more after the weekend when I pull the fenders.  

Thanks,

Back