Ram air kit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruebels

Reaction score
Hi all

I recently purchased and received the Ram Air kit from CJPP (#RAK1).

I was wondering if anyone had a source for a detailed install explanation, for a complete novice. 

Thanks in advance 

Rex

Perhaps someone with easy access to their car could shoot some photos? Mine is on lift. Working on another car under the lift...sorry.  It is pretty straightforward though. Your hood should have holes where the plenum screws in.

Below are pics that I have stolen from the internet over the years. The white car I have labeled as 'unrestored,' but that just means that somebody selling the car claimed that, I didn't verify! The white car seems to have the same vacuum hose location as the dirty green car but not as the clean red one. I assume the clean red one is wrong? I messed with the aftermarket RA setup on my car as the PO had just used generic hardware to install it and it looked horrible. My vacuum hose kit did not come with the metal P-clamps that hold the hose to the plenum so I had to dig around at Lowe's or Menards to find something that looked appropriate.

1F05M214600 RA Hood.jpg

Copied Ebay Auction Pic- 1F02R136013 RA Plenum.jpg

Unrestored Boss 351.jpg

In my car for some reason the hose comes from the engine on the driver's side:

(edit: in this picture the vacuum hose to the RAM is not connected to the engine. It is being held by the wiper fluid hose so it can be confusing)

20181024_224923.jpg

I noticed on the Boss for sale link shared yesterday that it has a different setup. It could be that it was modified or improperly restored, or that's how it came from factory. I don't know:

Boss Hood.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Dumb ques, is rain a problem getting into the air cleaner, or are there "drain" holes in the air cleaner?

Dumb ques, is rain a problem getting into the air cleaner, or are there "drain" holes in the air cleaner?
There are drain holes on the air cleaner plenum. If all is setup stock the baffles only open when you press the gas pedal and the vacuum goes to zero. Otherwise, they are closed.

I got one of these made in Taiwan aftermarket kits.  Maybe its just the one I got or maybe its my technique, but the way the nostrils on the hood fit up to the ram air plenum is garbage.  The plenum itself screws to the hood fine and all the holes line up.  Its the 2 ram air inserts on the outside of the hood.  Mine are factory hood inserts and they had the factory blockoff plates in them that I removed.  I'm gonna need some flex seal or air duct tape on the joints where everything comes together with the Taiwanese ram air kit.

Somewhat related, can somebody explain how the kit is supposed to work a bit?  Right out of the box, the shutters inside mine are open.  With no vacuum applied, they are fully open.  Does that mean when you hook this up and your car is parked and the engine is not running and making vacuum, these stay open?

And do you just hook the hose from the flappers straight to ported vacuum on the carburetor?

I have the same set and the flapper housings or better said the flappers needed a bit of work to close even otherwise it is a good set. There are some more guys here who have the set on their cars. 

When the car is not running, the flappers are open, no vacuum. When the car is running and idling, the flappers are closed with full vacuum. When you drive and hit the pedal hard, vacuum drops more and more and the flappers go open eventually. 

You have to connect the hose to the vacuum tree on your manifold with full vacuum, not the ported vacuum on the carb! The same connection is used by the brake booster, the automatic transmission and the air sensor of your original air cleaner assembly. 

Getting mine installed, need the know part no for required air filter,,,,,and can you use a "KN" filter with a filter on the top lid????,,,,thx,,,,Lou

Back