what is this object?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1, 351c 4v, C6 trans, grabber blue with white interior
I reached under the car the other day with the borescope I bought recently to see if I could get a picture of a previously seen VIN on the back of the engine. I take the picture and when looking at it I see some object in the background. Its kind of difficult to get oriented when looking at the scope pic on my phone.

Once I move the car from storage and can properly get under it I can probably tell better what is is, but in the meantime, or to save me the trouble, I was wondering if someone would know what the circled red item is?

Thanks!

InkedEngine_VIN.jpg

I stood on my head but still am having trouble making out what it is.  Need a clearer picture. Sort of looks like a hose end.  Might be the drain tube from the heater -a/c box where it comes out of the floor in the tranny hump.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea what the connector is for or is it a tube? If it is an unconnected connector is it just in the harness used for some accessory I dont have? I may have to fish the scope up there again to get a better look.

It's one of the electrical connectors coming out of the harness behind the engine. 
I agree. There can be a couple of connectors in that area that are not used. I think they are related to the lights to the automatic transmission console and related to the neutral safety switch.

Any idea what the connector is for or is it a tube? If it is an unconnected connector is it just in the harness used for some accessory I dont have? I may have to fish the scope up there again to get a better look.
Reach back there and get the color of the wire. The round single place connectors were usually used for the auto trans shifter light or an engine accessory. The NSS would be a 4 place square connector. 

AC clutch would be black w/yellow hash wire. shifter light is brown. If it was for the throttle position solenoid, then it should be red w/yellow hash

I'm not sure if this pics help. On my car with almost no options, one can see a white connector with a red and something wire. I have no idea what it's for without a diagram. There are also a green and black connector that are not in use. Probably I'm just adding to the confusion.

IMG_1735.1.JPG

Well here is a diagram from a previous post from this site. Possibly one of the connectors with the '???' on them which are described below. The white and green connectors look similar to those in your pic. The flattish connector with four wires, looks like the 'Engine Feed' labeled below.

At the time, I was only concerned with getting the VIN # on the head. Its hard to get oriented under there with a little scope and looking at the picture on a phone.

Thanks!

Wires In Engine NSS.jpg

Well here is a diagram from a previous post from this site. Possibly one of the connectors with the '???' on them which are described below. The white and green connectors look similar to those in your pic. The flattish connector with four wires, looks like the 'Engine Feed' labeled below.

At the time, I was only concerned with getting the VIN # on the head. Its hard to get oriented under there with a little scope and looking at the picture on a phone.

Thanks!

View attachment 49988
That makes sense. I know the flat 4 pin connector is engine feed. The white female connector was always connected, but I really don't know what for, maybe nothing now as I don't use the carb solenoid. My car is a manual, so no need for the PRNDL lamps feed.

Hope you find your VIN numbers. You may need to scrape the paint off as well to see them. They are not stamped in there very deep.

That makes sense. I know the flat 4 pin connector is engine feed. The white female connector was always connected, but I really don't know what for, maybe nothing now as I don't use the carb solenoid. My car is a manual, so no need for the PRNDL lamps feed.

Hope you find your VIN numbers. You may need to scrape the paint off as well to see them. They are not stamped in there very deep.
Surprisingly I did find the VIN nbrs. The whitish area in my first post is the area I sanded a few years ago. The lightly stamped numbers can be seen there 20047 <something>

My 72 Mach1 is an Auto. I recently had the trans sifter out to service it and replace the bushes. The set of plugs, a green one, black one and a single wire white one all go to the trans sifter. From memory the green one has 2 pins in it with a green block next to them to help orientate the plug and socket.

I also did the engine number search this week and found it on a flat section of the block between the head and the gear box bell housing. You will need a mirror, some steel wool and a bit of water to clean and then find it.

Thanks!

View attachment 49988
Slightly related, but is anyone running their carb's electric choke off of the white connector w/ red/yellow wires? I'm thinking it may be a cleaner setup than how I'm running my electric choke wire now straight off of the fuse block.

Back