Best Replacement Carpet

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmontes

Reaction score
What brand/who sells the best replacement carpet kits? I purchased one through CJ's, but the fit is lackluster and the molded parts are off enough that the carpet will not lay flat.

Mine was from NPD and it is ACC standard black carpet set for the fastback. If I were to do it again, I think I'd spend the extra and get the Mass Backed version, but it's nearly twice the price. As a tip, buy a hand held steamer, (like you would have for removing wrinkles in your shirts). I found mine fitted not too bad, but could have used a little adjustment for a better fit. Since then, I have bought a hand steamer for another reason and I intend to pull the seats out and make a few adjustments especially on the passenger side front.

Got mine form CJ's. It's Acc with the cut pile mass back black.  It sat for over two years in it's box before I used it.  It took about a day for it to lay out smooth but it looks great and I am happy with it.  Just need to work with it .  Might try a little spray adhesive to help hold it in place.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have gone through 3 sets with my car, The first set went in beautifully, BUT, I got lucky and fitted it well without knowing what I was doing. Then, my seat pedestals were the wrong ones and I had to remove my interior again so I decided to change to the pony insert ones and used the same method as the first time I installed it and it got WAY off center before I realized it and by then it was too late, I had cut too much off the passenger side. Then I read an article on the proper way to install carpet, starting off the shifter for center and everything fit perfectly. Then I installed a set into my fathers 73 with the same method and had great results. My point is, make sure you are installing it correctly and be very patient with it. They were all ACC sets. Good luck!!

I also went with ACC Cut Pile (from CJPP) and I'm VERY happy with it, even considering I'd moved my seat platforms back 2" for more legroom (self-inflicted wound doing that).  The molded bits didn't fit right, but that's nothing some time in the sun and the heat gun didn't fix. 

I just wish they had a kit without the vinyl inserts in the foot wells, since I have a set of thick cut-pile floor mats that slide around a bit as a result.  

interior4.jpg

Back