Someone had a bad day today, I saw a damaged 71-73 on highway 580 (San Fransisco East Bay)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71' Grande project.
Saw a damaged 71-73 today.

Westbound on 580 near Dublin / Livermore CA someone lost their drivers side front wheel.  Looked like the fender was destroyed- probably more.  I was on a mission in my commuter car to get the hell out of the Bay Area before traffic got any worse.  Hence I didn’t stop, it was hammer down time to travel 300+ miles home.  Curious if it belongs to someone on the forum.  Couldn’t tell the exact color, but it was dark blue or black.

I was a passenger in a friend's 69 Camaro when, on the freeway, the right rear wheel came off. The cause was that he was missing one or two lug nuts, possibly broken studs. My friend had been driving the car this way and didn't think it mattered. The moral of this story to ALL of you, is don't drive if you are missing any lug nuts or have a broken stud. Fix it, or get it fixed. You will save money in the end, and maybe even save a life.

I had a spindle break on me. I was cruising around on some country roads and when I was slowly crawling through the gas station parking lot the spindle snapped between the inner and outer races. Not fun to try and get the car moving again with the rotor wedged into the caliper in the middle of a gas station parking lot but could have been a lot worse...

My 85 SVO was bad to break front studs. I always use a torque wrench when putting the lugs on. If wheel was loose you would think they would feel the shake. I overloaded my 1969 ford van so much one time it pushed the axles out of the bearings and tires would hit the fenders. I would stop jack up and kick the axle back into the bearing. Also overloaded it another time and the lugs stated breaking by time I got stopped only two left. Had to get a service truck out to put lugs in I had to show him how to do it. He wanted to take back to shop to use a press.
Another thing that will get you on studs is having wheels that do not fit the center hub on the spindle and axle. They are there to carry the weight and the lugs just hold the wheel on. I would not run Magnum 500 wheels for that reason.

Back