Best Car cover ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machattack

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang mach 1 351c 4v auto fmx
1968 mustang gt 302 4v 4 speed
I need a car cover for my 71 mach. I went to ebay and they have 414 listed,  but they all look the same.  I must store the car outside. Please Let me know which cover you use and feel is a good one? 

Thanks 

Forced to have one outside while the other enjoys a massage in my little garage, I've used for past 5 or 6 years 3 brands (2 locals and 1 us), all supposed to be made for outside. I can tell you one thing, none did the job as one would expect: keep the car dry. Most had that @breathing@ material you see now days on most of the models, supposed to stop water from penetrating while allow condense underneath to get out. In practice that material works fine for a short rain fall when new, after more than one hour in rain (something very common here) they all start to suck the water and car can't even dry in between rain falls. If the cover is more than one month old, it will no longer repeal and it sucks right away. Useless and may be worse than no cover at all.

This past winter, the first for my 73 outside, looks like I've found a combo that works. It's ugly as hell if in sight but car stays dry. Bought a new Max Tech outside cover, they are advertised as waterproof, that's a big lie like all others, but they do offer a perfect fit that can against hard winds, are relatively thick and affordable. I have on top of that, one of these big constructions plastic cover, with a size of 7 x 4m,. The excess allows no wind to blow rain or moisture underneath. As said it's ugly but this past winter that was really wet showed it worked fine. I would not recommend to do this unless you can like me undo the cover to take the car for a ride every week or 2 when weather is dry for a few hours, allowing the humidity trapped in between to escape.  These Max tech covers would be great for inside storage. 

I'm looking at some zip car solution instead of a cover for next year.. Much better for prolonged period of time I think. Time will tell.

If you find one that really keeps the car dry, please let us know in a few months from now.

I have a similar issue with boat covers. They leak. What worked for me to reduce leaking was to use a seam sealer liquid along the seams. That said i had a cover that lasted 4 years, with some leaking. I then bought the exact same and after 2 years is now trash. Bottom line, quality went downhill.

Good thought

Do you have room for a portable "garage"? That would be the best overall solution. You could then put an indoor cover on it just to keep the muck of it.
I wish I could go that way with a shelter.

The way the codes read in my neighbourhood I simply can not put up a structure in that area. The city passed a code enforcement that says you can NOT put anything like boats, trailers, cars for storage (must move every 72 hours).  What they did was any neighbourhood in the city that codes have expired from (20 plus years). They used the setback laws to enforce nothing can go in that area. So...........20 feet from the front or back of the property and 8 feet from either side you can not use for your own personal use. I have enough room beside my house to sneak the car in there and cover it up.

This is the kind of stuff that makes folks go postal.     

Good thought

I wish I could go that way with a shelter.

The way the codes read in my neighbourhood I simply can not put up a structure in that area. The city passed a code enforcement that says you can NOT put anything like boats, trailers, cars for storage (must move every 72 hours).  What they did was any neighbourhood in the city that codes have expired from (20 plus years). They used the setback laws to enforce nothing can go in that area. So...........20 feet from the front or back of the property and 8 feet from either side you can not use for your own personal use. I have enough room beside my house to sneak the car in there and cover it up.

This is the kind of stuff that makes folks go postal.     
 Well to state the obvious, time to move!!!!  Think about it, nice 2-3 car garage, you can have one or two spots and the wife can have one too, must keep her happy! 

Well to state the obvious, time to move!!!!  Think about it, nice 2-3 car garage, you can have one or two spots and the wife can have one too, must keep her happy! 
Wish I could do that as well. Wife is passing, must stay here for now.

I was going to suggest on of the pipe frame temp garages but see your are zoned out on that.
I have Beverly Hills cover on my 73 Mach 1 for 38 years in a pole barn went through two of them. The roof did leak some and rain blew in from the side. I do not even know if they make the one I had anymore. I had like soft blanket material on inside to protect the paint and water proof outside. Had pockets for the mirrors also and eyelets for putting a lock cable under the car. Here is old picture on the car.
I went to Virginia once to a place that had hundreds of cars. There was guy at Charlotte swap meet one year that had loads of NOS Ford parts. Transmissions, glass, hoods, etc. He told me he had buildings full back home in VA. So I got address and went for visit. He was selling for a widow. Her husband had hundreds of car from the 1920's into the 60's. Some were in buildings and most outside. The town grew up around him and one day gave him 7 days to dispose of any cars in the open. Of course not enough time so city brought in crusher and crushed them no matter how rare or valuable. Only vehicles in car ports and sheds were left. He had several buildings packed with NOS Ford parts with Ford tags on them with part numbers. I picked out lots of items but we could not make a deal like we did in Charlotte. He was selling NOS short blocks at Charlotte for $300 and I bought a 3 speed for 1950 Ford still if Ford crate for $75.00 but no deals when I drove all the way to VA.
I had to do same here build my shop or they would have crushed anything without tags and current registration. If my 1973 Mach 1 sits outside they could crush it since not tags. IDIOTS.

100_2191.JPG

Yes that is a 1971 Maverick Grabber, Grabber Green. I ordered it new has bucket seats floor shift, 250 6 cylinder could not get a 302 in 1971. C-4 grabber hood and rear spoiler, tinted glass, black vinyl top. When looking through the Ford Facts book to order it I noticed you could get HD suspension for $10.00 that gave you 5 lug wheels & 8 inch rear instead of 4 lug so I did that. I do not like AC so I did not order that. Seems like I put about 175,000 miles on it and then just drove to the barn and been sitting since. In 1971 I got in it and just started driving with no certain place to go. I drove from N.C. to South Dakota without stopping to sleep. Went to the Badlands, Devils Tower, Yellowstone, Glacier Park. Met a couple in Great Falls Montana that my neighbor asked me to look up if I got close. We made friends and I went back later and stayed in his beautiful cabin adjacent to Glacier Park. Then went over to Oregon and visited two cousins there then down to Reno to go to Harrah's car collection. Use to be the largest in world with over 3,200 car, trucks trains restored perfect. Spent two days in the museum. The down to Death Valley and was running wide open through the desert was about 92 mph was all it would do. Drove out the south end and headed to California and spent two days at Disneyland. Then back to great meteor crater, Petrified Forest, Panted Desert, Grand Canyon and then to El Paso and paid someone $2.00 to watch my car and paid the two cents to cross into Juarez Mexico. Was a gate you had to put two pennies in to get through, lol. I spent the day buying leather stuff and things for gifts back home. Then had to get a taxi to get all the stuff back to the U.S. the border inspection was all over me saying I was over the spending limit without duty but had my receipts and after some heated arguing they let me back in the U.S.. I packed up the car and drove the 1,600 miles back to North Carolina without stopping to sleep. I was beat did that trip in just over two weeks. I have done similar trips 13 times I believe I love to drive.

Back