Can you polish glass?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
429CJ, 4 Speed, 3.25 Traction Lock N case, A/C, P/W, tilt, fold down seats, int. wipers, deluxe interior.
Well... I did 

watch to see what I used 

maybe it’s worth a try on yours? 

Good video, glad it worked for you. I've used purpose made products with moderate success. If a scratch is deep enough to catch your fingernail you are likely not going to polish out. Chuck

Good video, glad it worked for you. I've used purpose made products with moderate success. If a scratch is deep enough to catch your fingernail you are likely not going to polish out. Chuck
Yeah there were some deeper markers where I believe the moulding was rubbing, I wasn’t to concerned on that part mainly just the roughed up areas that weren’t coming off with normal glass cleaner. Definitely better than what it was! 

Great idea.  I've tried several different products without much success.  My driver and passenger side windows have fine scratches and some rust stain. I will be picking up a bottle and trying it out.    

Great idea.  I've tried several different products without much success.  My driver and passenger side windows have fine scratches and some rust stain. I will be picking up a bottle and trying it out.    
 Awesome!! Be sure to let me know if it works! 

I was really happy with the result. Def not Able to remove deep scratches but makes a huge difference on those light ones 

I assume if too much material is removed then it may impair visibility due to the varying thickness. However, it seems that for little material removed it may not make a visible effect.

I assume if too much material is removed then it may impair visibility due to the varying thickness. However, it seems that for little material removed it may not make a visible effect.
Yeah it’s not really removing much, I wasn’t trying to get rid of anything deep at all. Just that rough surface really. This isn’t meant to grind away glass, the abrasive is pretty mild but it can definitely clean up hardened dirt that normal glass cleaner won’t remove 

Nice video. I've done some very mild scratches this way and with metal polish in the past with pretty good results. I had a DA sander get away from me and slid down the center of my back glass. So I've got some deeper stuff I need to try and deal with there. I know I won't be able to get them all the way out but hopefully I can make it not so obvious. 

That's too much work to clean the water spots on my shower doors (due to really really hard water). 

That's too much work to clean the water spots on my shower doors (due to really really hard water). 
Trust me when I say I understand that. I have well water. 
If your shower doesn’t smell like blood and full of rust stains you’re doing better than me!

Nice video. I've done some very mild scratches this way and with metal polish in the past with pretty good results. I had a DA sander get away from me and slid down the center of my back glass. So I've got some deeper stuff I need to try and deal with there. I know I won't be able to get them all the way out but hopefully I can make it not so obvious. 
Yeah I had my DA get away from me and I hadn’t removed my drip rail yet haha. So there will always be a few curly marks there for me to hate. This was more of an experiment but I’m happy to say the glass was better than it started to be haha!

They do make the kits for polishing glass but if you have to take a deep scratch out you will see the uneven surface. As a tool & die maker I used diamond compound on small scratch before. Expensive but will cut anything. I use diamond compound to lap the barrel of any new rifle I buy before I ever shoot it. If you have a muzzle loader that is difficult to load lap the barrel and you will be shocked at how much easier it loads and shoots.
Now did you polish the stove for the wife, lol.
When working on a new glass cab for a John Deere project I was with the mfg. of the glass and I asked how they actually make it so flat and smooth. I figured they rolled it but wrong. He said they float the molten glass onto a pool of I think molten tin. The glass floats on the tin and makes a perfect smooth surface. The old windows you see in old homes that is wavy was rolled out.

I complained to my property manager about bad water spotting on my shower glass doors.  She said to go to Ace Hardware and get the Bio-Clean Hard Water Stain Remover.  I did, and it is the bomb!  It is a light polish compound that easily cleans glass, stainless, granite countertops, glass cooktops, etc.  The instructions say not to get it on automotive paints.  Just use a damp or dry cloth, rub it into the glass, and rinse with water.  OMG!  It works!!!

I complained to my property manager about bad water spotting on my shower glass doors.  She said to go to Ace Hardware and get the Bio-Clean Hard Water Stain Remover.  I did, and it is the bomb!  It is a light polish compound that easily cleans glass, stainless, granite countertops, glass cooktops, etc.  The instructions say not to get it on automotive paints.  Just use a damp or dry cloth, rub it into the glass, and rinse with water.  OMG!  It works!!!
Having trouble finding that listed in the Ace web page. Would you happen to have a upc or sku # ?

Thanks

Hey I use molasses to eat the rust of my rusty car parts and we eat that, lol. They have taken all the good stuff out of our chemicals. The oven cleaner does not work anymore and neither does the paint stripper took all the chemicals out that worked. Same for the old Westals tire cleaner new stuff sucks.

I use  Glass Wax cleaner and polisher.  Once came in a pink tin can then

disappeared for a time.  Reappeared in a plastic bottle made by Gel-Gloss.

Clean your windows with Windex then apply this as you would car wax.

mike

I got some of that Bio-Clean Hard Water Stain Remover. Pretty spicy stuff! It worked really well to remove all the hard water buildup and water spots on my glass.

Just for the hell of it I tried applying some in an inconspicuous place on my front door glass where it will never be seen using a da polisher. Lesson is to NOT apply it with a machine. It will make micro scratches.

I just smeared it on with a rag, let it sit for about 5 minutes and then lightly worked it around. Washed it off (glass is all out of the car). Excellent results.

Back