Upholstery for fold down rear seat?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4sp72mach

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach1
351-4V CJ
4 speed
Gold glow
I'm on the hunt for complete seat upholstery for my 1972 Mach 1.

But I have realized that it's very hard to find a source where the vendor even mentions whether it's for folding rear seat or the regular one. Often only defining Mach 1 or Sportsroof. But that doesn't say what the rear seat is like. 

Anyone had the same issue when shopping for upholstery? Would like to go with these from Distinctive industries. 

http://www.distinctiveindustries.com/component/virtuemart/ford/mustang/1971-1973/upholstery_5901cf85f309b/mach1/1971-73-mustang-mach-1-with-front-buckets-front-rear-set-detail?Itemid=2

I'm on the hunt for complete seat upholstery for my 1972 Mach 1.

But I have realized that it's very hard to find a source where the vendor even mentions whether it's for folding rear seat or the regular one. Often only defining Mach 1 or Sportsroof. But that doesn't say what the rear seat is like. 

Anyone had the same issue when shopping for upholstery? Would like to go with these from Distinctive industries. 

http://www.distinctiveindustries.com/component/virtuemart/ford/mustang/1971-1973/upholstery_5901cf85f309b/mach1/1971-73-mustang-mach-1-with-front-buckets-front-rear-set-detail?Itemid=2
I got mine from TMI. I have a folding rear seat and it fits so I don't know if the seat is any different. At that time I didn't pay attention to it.

The seats are exactly the same regardless of fold down or fixed rear seat. 
Thank you! Never realized this before, though fixed had higher seat backs like coupes and verts. 

Interesting they say they have the comfort weave inserts. Would be interesting to know if real or just the embossed fake comfort weave. If real that would be interesting since nobody else has it.
Only found a hi res image of the 69 seat and the comfort weave looks pretty real? 
dsi-068601blkblk_xl.jpg

It's just embossed vinyl. 

From their website

"Original woven vinyl Comfortweave has not been manufactured in a long time. TMI has faithfully reproduced the look and feel with a precision embossing die roller and extra thick expanded vinyl for a crisp Comfortweave texture."

Question about mach 1 back seats, I assumed fold down was different too.  Mine is not and I have about a 1" gap on both sides of the top half, it does not reach to either rear quarter.  Why would there be a gap there?

I assumes the seat back was wrong for the car.  I know the rear quarters don't seem correct, the 2 bottom bolt holes don't line up, I only use the front holes to bolt to car.

20210422_151709.jpg

I would guess so the seat did not rub when folding up and down. I have two with fold down and have never paid any attention. Pic is before I cleaned the car up after 38 years of sitting in barn. If the seat back was not narrow there would be nothing to sit on the side panel when you folded it down.

DSC_0949.JPG

As others have said, the comfortweave is the hard one to replicate. I ordered new upholstery from SMS Auto Fabric to reupholster the set of Fox body Recaros that I am going to be putting in. Here are the samples they sent me. All of them I thought were really good, but the comfortweave was noticeably different. But at the end of the day I figured it was about as close as I was going to get, and the majority of people would never notice unless I point it out since most people aren't comparing the front seats to the back. 

20210217_214823.jpg

Back