No, you weren't imagining things

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportroof M code
I'm working on a project for City of Las Vegas and have to come up with some emissions related data, and came across this. The Federal Highway Administration says that there were 119 million more trucks on the road in 2018 than in 1980, so those long lines of trucks aren't your imagination.

But here's the one that surprised me, they also say that there are 10 million fewer cars on the road during the same time frame. There must be some vacant roads out there someplace, because none of the streets I am familiar with seem to have less traffic.

The data came from the Federal Government so it must be right, right? "Trust nothing you hear and half of what you see and you will likely be OK." Chuck

It all depends upon the definition of "cars".  Light duty trucks and SUV's may not be classified as cars anymore, accounting for the drop in the number of "cars".

This is not by accident.  A lot of the rules written for crashworthiness, fuel economy, emissions are different between "cars" and "trucks".  It incented automakers to get people to buy more "trucks".  It worked a treat on suburban dads who just had to have a manly pickup to park next to the minivan.  Crossovers blurred the line enough that soccer moms liked them as a minivan replacement.

38 years is a long time. Still would be adding 109 million vehicles. You think it is bad here you should go to China. They have a lottery to obtain license plates. They have to restrict the number or you could not move on streets there. There are two different plates also. One allows you to drive on any road including freeways and the other only allows you to drive on the old surface streets. They are loaded with scooters, bikes and people walking. No scooters or bides on the freeway. I did see one bike on freeway and the rider was under the tandems under a heavy truck. You will see people cross a 6 lane street while texting and never look up.
When I first got there I asked how in the hell you crossed the streets, no lights at most intersections. I was told you just go everyone will avoid you and they do. There are no stop signs at intersections in China either and in 17 months I never saw an accident at an intersection. Yes on freeway they would pile up but not at intersection.
To turn into the street I lived on you had to cross 4 oncoming lanes of traffic with no light. You just go and everyone stops or lets you through. When there in 2014 I think they sold either 14 million or 16 million new cars. When new customers would come to visit they would about die when out in the car.
In Africa it is common for people you approach from rear to pull to the left to allow you to pass and you flash them thank you with your emergency flasher.
Mexico is also a crazy place to drive. Lots of horn honking there. Mexico City is crazy if it rains you will get a foot of water very quickly in the streets.

Back