72 Mach 1 H code - Where is the likely place for the body number stamped on the engine

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdennis

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Oh so many questions.. Im new to the 71-73 scene..

Per my other posts, I have just picked up a 72 Mach1 H code.

From what I can tell the engine is the original one. 

Where is the most likely place for the body number to be stamped on the block? Drivers side and the back or passenger side? 
Is is usually near the top so can be seen from the top of the engine bay or do I need to get under it?

Any info would be appreciated.

Regards

Brendan

Hi Brendan.  I'm the same poster as 188LVU on the Aust owners site.

Engine number will be on the back of the black, left hand ( drivers ) side, just below the head.  This is from inside the car, not standing in front of it.

I managed to get in via the top to scrape off 3 layers of gunk, attack the general area with coarse sandpaper then use a bright light & mirror to see it.  If you  have one of those flexible scope gizmos, much better.  Take off the cross brace that runs from the firewall to the top of the shock absorber to make access easier but you will still have the brake booster & other stuff to deal with..   You will only get the end part of the VIN if it matches your car.  There have been a few posts about this here.  Do a search on " engine number " or similar to see what others gave done.

Interesting work.

PKJ

PKJ,
Thanks for the tip. Will have a look to see what I can find. At least knowing where to search will make the finding easier. Will use the phone in selfie mode to see if I can find it.

Fortunately for me, no master cylinder and the engine bay, while looking a tad rusty, has minimal gunk..

Will see how I go.

thanks

Brendan..

Update.. Found it.. Needed steel wool and a bit of water. There is a square block behind the kick down rod (of the auto) on the block.

A bit of steel wool and elbow grease and a mirror fixed the issue.

Happy to say a matching numbers engine to the car.

Update.. Found it.. Needed steel wool and a bit of water. There is a square block behind the kick down rod (of the auto) on the block.

A bit of steel wool and elbow grease and a mirror fixed the issue.

Happy to say a matching numbers engine to the car.

20210410_212055 (Large).jpg

20210410_213729 (Large) zoom in.jpg

Your transmission will also have the partial VIN# stamped on top of the tail shaft near joint to main case if C-6 not sure on FMX. C-4 was 302 item unless changed out by owner. The rear does not have VIN# just an ID tag with type and gear ratio there. Here is a great source for Ford ID numbers. http://www.mustangtek.com/

Back