Alarm systems

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The PO had installed an alarm system that I took off. I bought the GPS tracking device that is about 1 1/2" square with magnet can be hidden anywhere. I can move to another vehicle or item at any time. Have one for my enclosed car trailer also. You can get with a huge battery capacity. Good thief knows how to kill the alarm. It reports location of car, trailer, kid whatever has the device and sends to your cell phone. I believe $15.00 a month.
I also got the 6X battery life big battery. Battery life depends on frequency of reports. Here is link to one I got. Some other brands actually buy this one and put their name on it. I think some insurance companies give discount if you have one.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/order-history?ref_=nav_orders_first

Alarms can be effective but nothing is 100%. The alarm is meant to deter the thieve and make they look at the next car. However, if a thieve really wants your car they will get it. Get an alarm such as the Vipers that can have their own battery in case the main one is disconnected. I suggest using it together with a hood lock and a 2-way remote. The 2-way remote will let you know if the alarm is activated as long as you are within a 1/2 a mile range (they advertise up to 1-mile, but that's without buildings and stuff). They are "easy" to install if you are good with soldering and fishing wires around the car. Although it is easy, it would be time consuming due to the amount of wires needed to be connected.

I just did  a low end Scytek system a few months ago.  As tony mentioned above there is a lot of wiring to be done.  I decide to place  everything behind the glove box.  I removed the dash pad and instrument cluster to replace the cluster printed circuit but I would suggest to remove the dash pad anyway because it will make things easier to get to. I also added power door locks with it. Thanks to tony's post on this it was easy to do.  My main focus was to get a system on it and wired up. I just wanted to get the car secure with some type of deterrent.  I will upgrade the unit itself at a later date but that will be simple since everything is now already wired.   Below is the link to my install and also to tony's power lock add on.   I do have to say I feel better when I take the car out somewhere and park it that it will be there when I come back out. 

Alarm System Add On - Electrical, Lighting & Electronics - 7173Mustangs.com

Adding power locks - Interior, Seats, Door Panels, Trunk, Glass, etc - 7173Mustangs.com

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Ravelco kill switch in my 73 and now my 05 Saleen.

This system isn't just one wire kill but a series of wires. There's no way anyone could start this car without the coded plug.

https://www.ravelco.com/

To David's point, Viper has a tilt module that activates when the tilt of the car changes after the alarm is activated. At the end of the day you are trying to deter the thieve away from your car, but if they want it, they will get it.

I had a Ravelco kill switch in my 73 and now my 05 Saleen.

This system isn't just one wire kill but a series of wires. There's no way anyone could start this car without the coded plug.

https://www.ravelco.com/
With EFI is also easy to place a hidden kill switch for the fuel pump or EFI unit.

Back