Windshield washer pipe through bonnet. Broken off

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdennis

Reaction score
Guys,

While working in the engine bay looking for the engine number, I managed to break off the windshield washer water pipe that goes through the grommet in the bonnet. (Darn it).

My question is.. Is this a grommet that a small length of pipe runs through, or is the rubber bung part of the pipe?

I don't want to apply too much force to get it out as I don't want to damage it any more than it already is.

How do I replace the pipe from the connector that is in line on the pipe near the wiper motor to the 3 way T that is connected under the bonnet?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

20210411_150240 (Large).jpg

20210411_150236 (Large).jpg

thanks

Regards

Brendan.

Guys,

OK cool. So if it is a rubber grommet, I will have a crack at getting it out and just replace the hose in the grommet.

Thanks for the tip

Have either of you managed to get the grommet out in the past? Should I push it through and leave the hose connected and rescue it from the bonnet cavity or pull it out towards he engine bay?

Thanks in advance.

Brendan

Guys,

OK cool. So if it is a rubber grommet, I will have a crack at getting it out and just replace the hose in the grommet.

Thanks for the tip

Have either of you managed to get the grommet out in the past? Should I push it through and leave the hose connected and rescue it from the bonnet cavity or pull it out towards he engine bay?

Thanks in advance.

Brendan
 I would just cut it out and replace it with a new one. You can get those grommets at any auto store or even a hardware store. Note the plastic white straight connector in my pic. With that in place, you can always disconnect the tube if you need to remove the hood for any reason.

Geoff,

Thanks for that. 

Looking at your pic and others I have seen.. I also have the white connector. For mine, the pipe from the water bottle goes in through the grommet, and then out through the larger hole to the 3 way T piece. Where as yours is the other way around. 

It is not important, but just a curious difference.

I will try and push out the pipe and then extract the grommet. I suspect that the pipe has slightly melted into the grommet due to heat over the last 48 years.

Will keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the updates. It is really appreciated.

Brendan.

Well, I managed to get the bung out. Put a new pipe in it.. Now to get it back in.. Oh the joy's..

Geoff,

Looking at the set up, I think yours is in back the front. I figure, the purpose of the water pipe going in through the bung into the bonnet and then coming out the large oval hole is to avoid the pipe being pinched by the rubber that seals the engine bay and the back of the bonnet. 

If you look at your pipe, 1/2 way between the 3 way connector and the bung, you can see that the pipe has been sandwiched between the bonnet and the rubber that is on the body to seal the back end of the engine bay.

Here is a picture of the pipe reinstalled.

20210416_214223+%2528Large%2529.jpg

The rubbing on the bonnet is more evident on mine as you can see where the bonnet has been rubbing on the rubber seal so the paint is rubbed off a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I managed to get the bung out. Put a new pipe in it.. Now to get it back in.. Oh the joy's..

Geoff,

Looking at the set up, I think yours is in back the front. I figure, the purpose of the water pipe going in through the bung into the bonnet and then coming out the large oval hole is to avoid the pipe being pinched by the rubber that seals the engine bay and the back of the bonnet. 

If you look at your pipe, 1/2 way between the 3 way connector and the bung, you can see that the pipe has been sandwiched between the bonnet and the rubber that is on the body to seal the back end of the engine bay.

Here is a picture of the pipe reinstalled.

The rubbing on the bonnet is more evident on mine as you can see where the bonnet has been rubbing on the rubber seal so the paint is rubbed off a bit.
 Brendan, You know, I think you're right. I never really paid to much attention to that little detail when I stripped the car for a repaint. Soooo, I guess I've got one more little job to do eh! Good eye my friend.

Regardless, I'm happy you got yours fixed to your satisfaction. By the way, if and when you get to repaint the wiper motor, can you get a new ink stamp made to reproduce the markings?

Last edited by a moderator:
All good Geoff.. Happy to help.

Re the wiper motor. As mine is a one owner (now 2), Im unlikely to strip it back and do a complete rebuild. But ya never know. So it is unlikely that I will get a stencil made for the wiper motor.

All good Geoff.. Happy to help.

Re the wiper motor. As mine is a one owner (now 2), Im unlikely to strip it back and do a complete rebuild. But ya never know. So it is unlikely that I will get a stencil made for the wiper motor.
Washer tube, It will get done. I have a friend with a 1 owner 71 Mach 1 and as I have several pictures of his car, I found one with the hood up. I know this car was repainted and engine pulled and the bay redone, They never connected that hose through the hood. Something for him to fix!

Wiper motor, just something to keep in mind. My friend had that stamp made and offered to loan me it, but the date code is wrong for mine, his car is 2 months younger than mine, so no stamp on mine ....yet.

You can get a rubber stamp to reproduce the date and part number on the washer pump.  Jeff Speegel (MCA judge) on the concoursmustang list is a good source.  I have a stamp with a Jan 5 1971 date on it.

You can get a rubber stamp to reproduce the date and part number on the washer pump.  Jeff Speegel (MCA judge) on the concoursmustang list is a good source.  I have a stamp with a Jan 5 1971 date on it.
 Mike, I can get one made locally, I just have not bothered....yet. However that info may be of great use to others, so thank for posting that info. (Your date stamp would work for mine as car was built Feb 22 71.)

Back