Hemikiller's 71 Mach 1 upgrade thread

Nice looking car, well done. I like the color, my car originally came with the bright blue metallic, but the first owner decided it would be a better sleeper if it were white. At least he had it done right, everything in and out, very little of the original blue left. I would like it back to blue, just haven't convinced my self to do it, engine and interior are out, so now would be the time. 

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Thank you Hemikiller for that story behind... I ever wondered what's this Hemikiller about... :thumb: 

What are your plans for the 351C 4V - more original or souped up, already some details in mind? 

Did you have a non-NACA-hood originally on the car as you get it? 

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

Nice history on your car. I think the transformation to the new engine will be cool to watch. 

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Great story, thanks for sharing. I too like the 70-71 Torinos, a beautiful car. My oldest son and I restored a 71 GT in 2005. It was too nice for him to drive it as a daily driver so it got sold to a collector. I wish we could have kept it. Chuck

FB4745F3-E1BB-4E39-B7DF-354EE94DA683_4_5005_c.jpeg

• Facepalm 1

7 minutes ago, c9zx said:

Great story, thanks for sharing. I too like the 70-71 Torinos, a beautiful car. My oldest son and I restored a 71 GT in 2005. It was too nice for him to drive it as a daily driver so it got sold to a collector. I wish we could have kept it. Chuck

FB4745F3-E1BB-4E39-B7DF-354EE94DA683_4_5005_c.jpeg

Wow... Too bad! I always had a soft spot onto these too. But that's life - sometimes you had to make your decisions when life and cars don't fit together at that time... Don't ask how I know! 

Fortunately you kept the two cars in the back :thumb:

Tim

• Hemikiller changed the title to Hemikiller's 71 Mach 1 upgrade thread

Nice work on the connectors! 

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Dennis that looks awesome dude!! It looks very clean and tight! Any pics of how the ends finish over the axle?

Just remember John Wick didn’t kill all those people for a random car. It was a Mustang

On the rear of the connectors that's kind of what I did but I didn't go around the spring eye. I just capped the end with some metal I had in the garage. I think you'll be very happy with those. 

[align=left]Jeff T.

• 1 month later...

Wow, been a while since I updated this...

Let's see - after screwing around with the welder to get it working right, the subframe connectors are in and welded. Pulled the trans, clutch and flywheel a couple weeks ago. Cleaned up the underside of the car and acid etched it for another coat of paint. Spent a bunch of time getting parts in line for the engine swap and had a free weekend to get the engine out, so I got to it yesterday.

I do have to give a shoutout to Uncle Tony's Garage on Youtube, he saved me a ton of time and effort when pulling this engine - by leaving the hood on. I don't know why it never occurred to me at any time in the last 30 years, maybe because every aftermarket repair manual or "How to Rebuild X engine" book I've read says to remove the hood. However, while watching THIS VIDEO he mentions that every car is designed to have it's engine removed with the hood in place. I initially was like "WTH did he just say?" and after rewinding a couple times, I hit my manuals. Looked through at least six factory Ford shop manuals of various years and not in any of them did it say "remove hood" in the engine removal procedures. After pondering for a minute, it occurred to me this was the smartest thing the engineers could have done, since hood removal always involved a bunch of gymnastics to get it realigned and had a huge potential for paint damage. So, I decided that I was going give it a shot. I had about two inches to spare, but it came out with the hood in place. Obviously, this isn't going to work in some situations, but I'm pretty confident the 351C will go in the same way. 

PXL_20210613_140804238.jpg

• Like 1

Awesome... It ever was some kind of automatism: engine out meant hood off... Live could be so easy. At least pulling the engine alone without the trans...

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday was transmission reassembly day. I had previously cleaned, degreased and de-rusted all of the components and they were waiting for me to get to work. This toploader came out of my belated 71 M-code XR-7 and apparently, it had a very hard life. The synchro hubs were completely shot, the splines were terribly worn, and fit loose on the mainshaft. All the gears were it top shape and the only other damage was some minor burring on the dog teeth, which I cleaned up. Ordered new hubs from Allstate Gear, rebuild kit is the high load road race bearing version from Dan Williams. Trans itself is complete, just need to reassemble and install the shifter, and button up the top cover. Oh, also need to find the bolt for the detent on the side of the case.  :classic_unsure:

Just a note for anyone doing this job, the outside snap ring that comes on the input shaft bearing does not allow the retainer to sit flush against the case, DW supplies the correct one separate in his kit. 

PXL_20210704_141842419.thumb.jpg.11acf0d8197c6481c952a50ee53a3b63.jpgPXL_20210704_163045803.thumb.jpg.ec9c18235aca0c5aadb14248d60bbc21.jpgPXL_20210704_182241659.thumb.jpg.c0d1ca7986b8f3d38ebe80e0a7a01769.jpgPXL_20210704_192902888.thumb.jpg.8823fba6984df8d4755e6877b682a3f7.jpg

• Like 2

Good for you Hemikiller, you're a braver man than am I. I paid an "expert" to do mine. Steering box, yes, gearbox, no. Not yet anyway.

Glad to see it's coming together.

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

I remember doing that on my dining room table in my college apartment 50 years ago!

Finished up the transmission and swung the engine into the bay yesterday with a little help from my friend Tom, popped the trans in today, along with headers and starter. Will be fitting the exhaust and fuel tank tomorrow and then drop it back down on the ground to finish up in the engine bay. Working with the car on cribbing blocks makes life so much easier for this type of work.

Oh yeah, my 31 spline axles showed up today from Strange. Pretty quick turnaround, only two weeks from ordering to arrival.

PXL_20210709_225534182.thumb.jpg.b1faec882e28337c4388e9c1094470cb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Fist Bump 1

Dan Williams will talk your ear off if you call him, lol. He is about 100 miles from me. But he is the best on the top loader and use to build them for the NASCAR teams and trans am.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

• 2 weeks later...

Well, finished the installation of the engine and other parts, whacked together an exhaust from my belated 71 XR-7 and got the car running and driving.

Had a noisy rocker which I adjusted, and then noticed an ominous noise coming from the engine. Sounded to me like at least a couple bad rod bearings. Oil pressure was tip top at 40 hot idle, 80 at 2K, so shut it off and called my machinist. Sent him a couple video snips and he agreed we had a problem. Pulled the motor back out in two hours and dropped it off at his place last Friday. We're going to crack it open tomorrow to see what's gone wrong. Reviewing the video of the engine on the dyno, I *think* I can hear a noise at certain RPMs and loads. It's hard to tell since it was run open header and you get a lot of resonance in the room. Either way, he's making it right. Hopefully it's a lot faster than it took to build the thing in the first place. 

On an up note, it did run well and sounded great if you ignored the noises. 

Also received my Strange 31 spline axles, 26" Champion radiator, shift light and tach. Once we see what's needed tomorrow, that'll decide what I'm doing next. Probably going to pull the entire rear end out to do the axle and pumpkin swap so I can weld on reinforcements to the factory spring perches. 

PXL_20210711_155445207.jpg

• Fist Bump 1

I hope it is nothing major. I lost an engine on the dyno 3 years ago, all 8 Scat I beam rods went out of round causing the clearance to be zero at the parting line. Keep us informed on the progress. Chuck