Hemikiller's 71 Mach 1 upgrade thread

Motor came apart today. He found one bad rod bearing, said the crank measured out fine and will just get polished up. Out of an abundance of caution, he's disassembling the engine, performing a complete inspection and will clean out all the oil passages. He's a bit baffled by the bearing failure, but agrees it must have happened on the dyno. Told him that I had to adjust #3 intake, even though he had run through the valves several times, so a thorough inspection of the cam in lifters is also in order. If there is even the least bit of suspicion about them, they'll be replaced. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hemikiller said:

Motor came apart today. He found one bad rod bearing, said the crank measured out fine and will just get polished up. Out of an abundance of caution, he's disassembling the engine, performing a complete inspection and will clean out all the oil passages. He's a bit baffled by the bearing failure, but agrees it must have happened on the dyno. Told him that I had to adjust #3 intake, even though he had run through the valves several times, so a thorough inspection of the cam in lifters is also in order. If there is even the least bit of suspicion about them, they'll be replaced. 

Although not the best news it sounds good your mechanic will cooperate and replace the failing parts. You had blessing in disguise, though, it seems... 

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

Glad to hear that your mechanic has found the problem. He sounds very thorough and reliable. Hopefully it was just the one bad bearing and nothing else. Good luck with the next rebuild!

John - 72 Q Code

Rod or rod cap installed backwards? Did he check rod big ends for out of round? Hopefully he will get it sorted out quickly. Chuck

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2021 at 8:56 AM, c9zx said:

Rod or rod cap installed backwards? Did he check rod big ends for out of round? Hopefully he will get it sorted out quickly. Chuck

Chuck,

The rods had ARP2000 bolts installed and were resized by him. There is an off chance he put the cap on backwards, but who knows at this point. He does a fair amount of Windsor work, so not unfamiliar with Fords at all. 

Supposedly the crank should be back from the grinder's next week, they ended up grinding all the rod journals as there were some marks in the failed one they didn't like. 

We inspected the cam and lifters, and they're toast. Two lifters and their lobes are obviously bad, and all the rest are on their way out. I had a coworker who is a hell of a machinist and ran a comp car for many years look at them and he thinks they're import lifters even though the box said "Made in USA". His guess is they were not properly heat treated. Talked to the cam company (Cam Research) and he wants me to send them back for hardness testing. Seriously considering going with a roller setup to *hopefully* avoid this problem again.

PXL_20210902_171033432.thumb.jpg.cf01a9f4cd3ed55797fd71a3716427e3.jpgPXL_20210902_171013589.thumb.jpg.8125383429ff7e1d7c7963dd25793c1c.jpgPXL_20210910_172652775.thumb.jpg.065f009c6a9c20d597d5f6c14085550f.jpgPXL_20210902_171033432.thumb.jpg.cf01a9f4cd3ed55797fd71a3716427e3.jpg

Cam Research has been a reputable source for many years. Proper heat treat has been a problem for decades for many things coming from China or India (I have been burned bad at least twice). If the lobe taper is off or the lifter crown is off, the lifters won't rotate and as a result there is mutually assured destruction of the lifters and the lobes. It is something I check even before I install pushrods, heads, and rocker arms. If they don't rotate there will be a problem. Thank you for helping this person out. It is what car guys do. Chuck

• 3 weeks later...

Received a call from Scott at Cam Research yesterday. They offered to replace the cam and lifters, or credit me towards another cam as an upgrade. I elected to upgrade to a hydraulic roller with low travel lifters. I went with a similar 230°/235° grind which will give me a bit more duration than with the solid. They are waiting for roller cam cores to arrive any day now, so I expect I'll see the new parts around the end of October. 

In the meantime, I've been refurbishing the dash trims, adding wiring as needed for the tach, shift light, stereo and other stuff I never got around to. Will get some pics over the weekend. 

• Like 2