Anybody have experience with kentucky mustangs deluxe door panels?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Animal Lawyer

Reaction score
Right now I have a choice, usable door locks or having panels that come close to matching the mounting holes. So, new panels are in my future. While I understand tmi appears to be the best fitting, the price is a bit high, so, barring a lotto win or the tooth fairy leaving a NOS set under my pillow, I am looking for a reasonable alternative. I've heard dashes direct panels are garbage (undersized, attachment channels misaligned and generally an inferior product), any suggestions on decent panels besides tmi?

I highly recommend TMI panels. I know there more money but...........you get what you pay for. I tried to buy cheaper ones and returned them. Either they didn't fit correctly or the color match was so far off I would have to spray dye them. 

My issue with color is TMI no longer makes vermillion red. However if they do make your color then spend a little more and get the best! You wont regret it.

Right now I have a choice, usable door locks or having panels that come close to matching the mounting holes. So, new panels are in my future. While I understand tmi appears to be the best fitting, the price is a bit high, so, barring a lotto win or the tooth fairy leaving a NOS set under my pillow, I am looking for a reasonable alternative. I've heard dashes direct panels are garbage (undersized, attachment channels misaligned and generally an inferior product), any suggestions on decent panels besides tmi?
I bought white door panels for my 71 from Mustang Market. The color, fit, construction and price were all good.

https://mustangmarket.net/Mustang/1964-1973 Mustang/Mustang-Main.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
I am told nobody makes repro deluxe 73 panels for power windows? Are the holes for manual in the correct place for the power controls? Does anyone have a n own power driver’s door panel they can get me a photo of correct cut out, please?

The panel for crank and power windows are the same. The factory panel has a perforated pattern on the backside You can make a template off your existing panels to cut the hole. 

I bought a pair in ginger (a very difficult color concerning original appearance...) from Don of Ohio Mustang Supply 6 years ago and they were an almost perfect fit in form, function and the most critical point, appearance. They are almost identical to the original ones concerning grain, color and overall appearance. Most other (as the ones pictured from Mustang Market) look like a skinned giraffe. But I don't know what manufacturer they are. So please contact him, you could say, that Tim from Germany bought some ginger ones six years ago and was very pleased with them, if he still know what brand they were and if he still sells the same  :thumb:

I have two 1973 Power Window cars a Mach 1 and a Grande. I think there is an outline on the back side for the controls on the door panel. Will look tomorrow. The blue Grande was an Arizona car so interior was toasted, lol. The Ginger is original in N.C. not so much sun.
The repo Ginger that I have seen do not look right all splotchy not like originals.

DSC_1257.JPG

DSC_1281.JPG

I find mine a good fit to the originals! You can't beat the originals but who want cracked old ones?!? Here is mine in the context of the complete interior 

20140619_2106530prt9.jpg

Side by Side 

20140314_113152spp5t.jpg

On the car

20140314_202533m1o6i.jpg

Old ones backside where you can see the perforated spots

20140314_1113278jqt5.jpg

20140314_1113436ipta.jpg

20140314_111335f0rp6.jpg

I was in the shop today and there is an embossed outline in the back of the door panel where the hole for the P.W. switch goes. The manual crank hole is in the cur out so you can alter manual to fit a PW car. I think these are out of a 72 and the 73 cut out is probably different since the switches are. I had these stretch wrapped I sort of traced the outline of the emboss. Your old door panels should have that emboss to go by for location of cut out. Here are pics of the ones I looked at.

20210424_173940.jpg

20210424_173945.jpg

20210424_173950.jpg

thank you, I'm going to bite the bullet and order tmi's (hoping for a decent sale around memorial day or the 4th of july) Luckily my interior is white and the repops seem to match well.

Back