Was color was the original PS Pump Reservoir?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach1
I think the previous owner may have painted this a different color at some point. Some cleaning has revealed a blueish color underneath. Is this the color they were originally? And if so, does anyone sell it in a rattle can? Thanks!

20210412_070939.jpg

20210412_070950.jpg

It should be a TRW pump and should be semi-gloss black. The teal colored pumps were used on some earlier year Fords and were made by Thompson. Chuck

Considering the sheer volume of vendors Ford dealt with, pumps with black housings were entirely possible. I know some of the over-the-counter new p/s service pumps we sold were a mix between teal and black.
Both of my 71 "M" Mach1's ( 9/21/70 and 7/28/71) and all three 72 Gran Torino's (2 Q and one 429) had the teal Ford Thompson pump. Anything I bought new after that had the  Ford pump with the black plastic housing.
If looking for the teal/blue paint, NPD is the only source I've found.
https://www.npdlink.com/product/power-steering-pump-paint-enamel-exact-match-dark/143996?backurl=sea

3a674-teal.jpg

Considering the sheer volume of vendors Ford dealt with, pumps with black housings were entirely possible. I know some of the over-the-counter new p/s service pumps we sold were a mix between teal and black.
Both of my 71 "M" Mach1's ( 9/21/70 and 7/28/71) and all three 72 Gran Torino's (2 Q and one 429) had the teal Ford Thompson pump. Anything I bought new after that had the  Ford pump with the black plastic housing.
https://www.npdlink.com/product/power-steering-pump-paint-enamel-exact-match-dark/143996?backurl=sea

View attachment 50257
Was the bracket typically not painted as shown in the photo? Mine is black. (Edit: Just realized that's not a stock bracket.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris, I can't be 100% sure because I bought my PS system used, not original to the car. It happened to be date correct, so early 71. It was definitely black and no sign of any other color when I stripped for repainting. The bracket was also black. Perhaps it's another of those Ford anomalies.

Thanks for the tip on the paint! She came out looking pretty darn good in my opinion! 

20210420_094315.jpg

20210420_094302.jpg

20210419_191947.jpg

20210416_192030.jpg

View attachment 50257
Interesting... I have never seen this colour on a 71-3 car, at least that I would consider factory. Always black. I need to get out more, I guess. Oh, we have a stay at home order right now so maybe after the middle of May...

Mine is a 73 model year but was a very early build 73 with an actual production date of Dec. 22, 1972. This one was black over the Teal. I'm not sure if this one came on the car or if it was replaced at some point. Impossible to say. I went with the color underneath figuring that had the better shot at being original. It's also a bit more unique so I like that aspect as well. My car doesn't look 100% stock anymore anyway. 

Chris, 

I can't help with "the right" color other than that I have only seen black ones on the '73 including mine but who knows when they were changed, overhauled, paint oversprayed/restored et cetera... 

But, what I can say: yours looks fantastic! Like it was meant to be there that way. Perhaps this color combination was more on the early cars and this pump is from an earlier car but who cares if you don't go the strict concourse route. It's your car, you like it and it looks perfect - win win win  :thumb:

Here is the color spectrum which was on the pump before it get restored by me: 

dsc_1413lcbs3.jpg

dsc_141560l06.jpg

dsc_141814aol.jpg

Dark blue, middle blue, light blue, black and rusty red - I didn't knew which one was original although I knew most of it was overspay from engine "make up" over the years  :biggrin:

Maybe, it was like this from the factory? As delivered to me on my 71 J Code Vert in 2015... It was black under this colorful example.

PS Pump kalidescope (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is a 73 model year but was a very early build 73 with an actual production date of Dec. 22, 1972. This one was black over the Teal. I'm not sure if this one came on the car or if it was replaced at some point. Impossible to say. I went with the color underneath figuring that had the better shot at being original. It's also a bit more unique so I like that aspect as well. My car doesn't look 100% stock anymore anyway. 
Looks great! I’ve seen a similar color on the pumps before, but not sure if it was from factory. But as far as when your car was built, that’s almost a mid year build. Production for the next model years started end of August or the beginning of September. 
Anyway looking good and hopefully it is running as good as it looks!

Back