Was color was the original PS Pump Reservoir?

I think the previous owner may have painted this a different color at some point. Some cleaning has revealed a blueish color underneath. Is this the color they were originally? And if so, does anyone sell it in a rattle can? Thanks!

20210412_070939.jpg

20210412_070950.jpg

Chris -  Born in '73 - Drive a '73 / Former U.S. Army 63B10-H8 / 1st Infantry Division - The Big Red One

480x220-cutout.png

It should be a TRW pump and should be semi-gloss black. The teal colored pumps were used on some earlier year Fords and were made by Thompson. Chuck

• Like 2

Considering the sheer volume of vendors Ford dealt with, pumps with black housings were entirely possible. I know some of the over-the-counter new p/s service pumps we sold were a mix between teal and black.
Both of my 71 "M" Mach1's ( 9/21/70 and 7/28/71) and all three 72 Gran Torino's (2 Q and one 429) had the teal Ford Thompson pump. Anything I bought new after that had the  Ford pump with the black plastic housing.
If looking for the teal/blue paint, NPD is the only source I've found.
https://www.npdlink.com/product/power-steering-pump-paint-enamel-exact-match-dark/143996?backurl=sea

3a674-teal.jpg

• Thanks 1

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, secluff said:

Considering the sheer volume of vendors Ford dealt with, pumps with black housings were entirely possible. I know some of the over-the-counter new p/s service pumps we sold were a mix between teal and black.
Both of my 71 "M" Mach1's ( 9/21/70 and 7/28/71) and all three 72 Gran Torino's (2 Q and one 429) had the teal Ford Thompson pump. Anything I bought new after that had the  Ford pump with the black plastic housing.
https://www.npdlink.com/product/power-steering-pump-paint-enamel-exact-match-dark/143996?backurl=sea

3a674-teal.jpg

Was the bracket typically not painted as shown in the photo? Mine is black. (Edit: Just realized that's not a stock bracket.)

Edited by Big Red Mach 1

Chris -  Born in '73 - Drive a '73 / Former U.S. Army 63B10-H8 / 1st Infantry Division - The Big Red One

480x220-cutout.png

Posted (edited)

I like the aluminum bracket look because my A/C compressor right above it is also unpainted. I may strip my bracket down too.  

70554451-770-0@2X.jpg

Edited by Big Red Mach 1

480x220-cutout.png

Chris, I can't be 100% sure because I bought my PS system used, not original to the car. It happened to be date correct, so early 71. It was definitely black and no sign of any other color when I stripped for repainting. The bracket was also black. Perhaps it's another of those Ford anomalies.

• Like 1

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

I'm going to use Eastwood Aluma Blast on my bracket. I like the look. Bought the teal paint from NPD. Hopefully both here by the time I get back from my biz trip to San Francisco. 

480x220-cutout.png

On 4/12/2021 at 8:32 AM, secluff said:

Thanks for the tip on the paint! She came out looking pretty darn good in my opinion! 

20210420_094315.jpg

20210420_094302.jpg

20210419_191947.jpg

20210416_192030.jpg

• Like 2

480x220-cutout.png

On 4/12/2021 at 11:32 AM, secluff said:

3a674-teal.jpg

Interesting... I have never seen this colour on a 71-3 car, at least that I would consider factory. Always black. I need to get out more, I guess. Oh, we have a stay at home order right now so maybe after the middle of May...

• Like 1

"Yes dear", has kept me in the hobby a long time...

Mine is a 73 model year but was a very early build 73 with an actual production date of Dec. 22, 1972. This one was black over the Teal. I'm not sure if this one came on the car or if it was replaced at some point. Impossible to say. I went with the color underneath figuring that had the better shot at being original. It's also a bit more unique so I like that aspect as well. My car doesn't look 100% stock anymore anyway. 

480x220-cutout.png

Chris, 

I can't help with "the right" color other than that I have only seen black ones on the '73 including mine but who knows when they were changed, overhauled, paint oversprayed/restored et cetera... 

But, what I can say: yours looks fantastic! Like it was meant to be there that way. Perhaps this color combination was more on the early cars and this pump is from an earlier car but who cares if you don't go the strict concourse route. It's your car, you like it and it looks perfect - win win win :thumb:

• Thanks 1

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

Here is the color spectrum which was on the pump before it get restored by me: 

dsc_1413lcbs3.jpg

dsc_141560l06.jpg

dsc_141814aol.jpg

Dark blue, middle blue, light blue, black and rusty red - I didn't knew which one was original although I knew most of it was overspay from engine "make up" over the years :biggrin:

• Like 1

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

Maybe, it was like this from the factory? As delivered to me on my 71 J Code Vert in 2015... It was black under this colorful example.

PS Pump kalidescope (2).jpg

Edited by 7173Vert
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Big Red Mach 1 said:

Mine is a 73 model year but was a very early build 73 with an actual production date of Dec. 22, 1972. This one was black over the Teal. I'm not sure if this one came on the car or if it was replaced at some point. Impossible to say. I went with the color underneath figuring that had the better shot at being original. It's also a bit more unique so I like that aspect as well. My car doesn't look 100% stock anymore anyway. 

Looks great! I’ve seen a similar color on the pumps before, but not sure if it was from factory. But as far as when your car was built, that’s almost a mid year build. Production for the next model years started end of August or the beginning of September. 
Anyway looking good and hopefully it is running as good as it looks!

• Like 1

John - 72 Q Code

24 minutes ago, jpaz said:

But as far as when your car was built, that’s almost a mid year build. Production for the next model years started end of August or the beginning of September. 

Great point as they typically start hitting the car lots in Oct/Nov. 

480x220-cutout.png

Wow, Chris!  That pump looks new - No - better than new.  It looks awesome.  You did a great job on it.  

• Thanks 1

Ron

The Rickster, a 1973 Mach 1, being restored as a tribute to my brother who passed away with COVID in July 2020.

Billy, a 1976 Ford Bronco, also needs a lot of work.

El Guapo, a 1986 F150, frame-off Resto-Mod.

Also, in the queue, a 1950 Ford F1 Panel truck and 1962 Falcon Ranchero

8 hours ago, 73MustangCoupe said:

Wow, Chris!  That pump looks new - No - better than new.  It looks awesome.  You did a great job on it.  

Thanks Ron!

480x220-cutout.png

Wow, Chris that turned out great. The P/S bracket on my cars was also unpainted, so that is a mirror image of what was on my Mustangs and Torinos.

Except for a few Saginaw applications, this was the corporate PS pump for automotive and light truck applications from 65/ until the Ford C II pump was used starting in 1978. With the sheer volume of pumps and components used during this time frame, it's not surprising to find two different color metal reservoirs for production and service parts. The teal pumps on my '71 Mustangs and '72 Torinos were original to those cars. 

• Thanks 1

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

23 hours ago, turtle5353 said:

You sure thats not off your John Deere???

You would have to talk to the guy in Tucson AZ who owned it... Do they even have grass there to cut? this was "matching" AC idler pulley... I was not aware that parts were interchangeablegable between John Deere and our car's. learn something new every day!

AC Pulley-Painted Green....JPG

All of mine are black have 8 of them 72 & 73. I thought the blue ended in 70?? The brackets for PS and AC use the Manganese Phosphate coating like the hood hinges, upper shock mount, hood latch, parking brake and gas pedal bracket do. I do mine at home but some plating shops have the solution. Gun shops use it and they call it Parkerizing. Ford used manganese phosphate and GM used zinc phosphate. You will need a big stainless steel container to heat the solution in mixed with distilled water. 190 - 200 deg. F. I seem to recall. Next time I do some will take pics of the steps and process. You do need to clean all grease and oil off with oven cleaner and then glass bead the parts before you coat them. They spray several times with WD-40. Was thinking about trying coating in wax after also. Here is where I get my chemicals. https://www.palmettoenterprisesparkerizing.com/product-page/one-gallon-of-each-zinc-manganese

• Like 1

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David