Trans Cooler Line Fittings

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
351C 4V - C6
Blue with Blue interior
I thought I would see if anyone on here knows what size fittings go into the trans in order to run the trans cooler lines. The trans is a C6 and I was looking at running new lines since I was upgrading the cooler. 

My Hayden cooler came with the fittings just had to get barbed fittings to go on the hard line near the radiator support. The line that came on my car had a fitting there and I went rubber line to the cooler and from cooler back to hard line to transmission. My parts house has an assortment of the fittings on the wall and they let me go back and find what I need.

One of the best changes you can do for your automatic car. Get the heat out of the radiator from the transmission and actually get way cooler fluid to the transmission using the stand alone cooler.
I made two brackets that I was able to use existing fasteners in the radiator support and center grill support so I did not add any holes. I just put a manual switch for the fan.
I have a cooler about twice the size of this one for the Q code auto vert build. Heat is the enemy of every engine and especially transmissions.
Notice the clamps on the hoses are the fuel injection type and smooth so you do not have those ugly geared clamps that ruin a hose. No really big pressure there just flowing through the cooler and back to transmission.

20200807_132304.jpg

20200807_132313.jpg

20200807_132325.jpg

20200807_132332.jpg

20200807_132338.jpg

20200807_132838.jpg

20200807_132853.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya, thats why I had been looking at switching out to a seperate cooler. I have had this one sitting in my garage brand new for like 15 years and never installed it on anything, but now that Im in the middle of swapping the radiator in the 72 I figured now would be a good time to do the trans cooler. So had been thinking about running new braided lines from the trans all the way to a new cooler. 

171013331_2872420309642355_4736678513481481381_n.jpg

I guess braided lines to improve the look? There is not really much pressure on the line just a free flowing stream with no back pressure. The cooler you have looks like about the size I got for my Q code it has a C-6 my vert the PO switched from FMC to a C-4 which never came in a Cleveland car I do not think.

Ya, mostly to clean things up and try and tuck them off to the side nicely. I may just use the existing hard lines and slide a rubber line over the flare for now. Have to make some decisions. 

Is there any issues with possibly cooling the fluid too much ?  I was thinking of putting one before the radiator for 2 reasons.

1. If the fluid going into the radiator is cooler it will get heated up before going back to the transmission.

2. If the fluid going into the radiator is cooler, it will actually help cool the engine coolant.

thoughts?

I do not think it is possible to cool the transmission fluid too cold. If you order a new Ford truck with trailer towing package it comes with transmission cooler. Think of our friends in the cold north in winter and well below zero all the time.
I use to go hunting in Polebridge Montana just across the river from Glacier Park about 11 miles from the Canadian border. If I remember correct it was like 40+ miles back to town on a dirt road. The community actually voted to not have electricity. They had generators and gas refrigerators and of course wood heaters. I have been there and over 5' of snow fall in less than a week. Killed most of the game could not get out of snow to eat.
One of the old timers, Tom Ladenburg. told us that back in the 40's that they would actually drain the oil out of the engine and coolant and bring into the cabin. Would also park headed in the direction to leave and truck in first gear. In winter you do not go to town unless you just have to. They would heat the oil and coolant up on the wood heater and go pour back in the engine and start it up. He said if he did not do that could never get it started. If you did not have the vehicle facing the way you wanted to leave the grease in the manual transmission was so thick you could not move the shifter.

So I ended up making a change of plans. I ended up giving my brother the cooler that I had for his '60 Thunderbird since he is going to be putting a C6 into it. And ended up grabbing a B&M cooler instead. But it worked out much nicer in terms of mounting and Im really happy with the final result. It was easier to do braided lines to this, although what I ended up doing was using the factory lines most of the way to the front and then converted them to AN lines. Car is almost fully back to gether. A couple last things with the new radiator and she will be ready for the streets. 

20210416_190345.jpg

Ya, mostly to clean things up and try and tuck them off to the side nicely. I may just use the existing hard lines and slide a rubber line over the flare for now. Have to make some decisions. 
This is how I did mine years back.  And If I had to do it over, I'd do the same thing.  Hard lines running where they were designed to go.  They stay put and everything clears them.

On a normal C4, does the hot fluid from the transmission connect to the top or bottom of the radiator ?

thanks
Call this an educated guess...heat rises.  So I'd say you'd want to send cooler fluid from the bottom line back to the radiator.  And have it dump more hot fluid in through the top line.  Similar to how the water cycles through the engine and radiator.

I also put a stand alone trans cooler works great. I used a Hayden with electric fan also. Takes the transmission heat out of the radiator and the fluid is much cooler going back to the transmission. I made a couple brackets that used fasteners that were in the radiator support and grill bracket. Here are some pics. I used the steel lines up to the radiator support then hose to cooler. There is not a lot of pressure on there since the fluid is free flowing. I used the fuel injection smooth clamps for the hoses. I think I got from Summit been a while. Brass plugs in the radiator. I would have thought that you would have wanted the bottom line be the incoming and top going back to trans but I do not remember how it was originally.

20200807_132304.jpg

20200807_132313.jpg

20200807_132325.jpg

20200807_132332.jpg

20200807_132338.jpg

20200807_132400.jpg

20200807_132838.jpg

20200807_132853.jpg

20200807_132930.jpg

Back