How to remove Mustang script emblem currently on deck lid of 1972 Mach 1?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffbl

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1
2014 Ford F150
2018 Porsche Panamera

[url=https://ibb.co/i2uhXQ][img]https://preview.ibb.co/h0A0K5/815f.jpg[/img][/url]
On my newly reacquired car from High School, it appears as if I have a Mustang script logo on the right side of the trunk lid which is not correct for Mach 1 cars. (or at least I do not think it is correct). It appears to be plastic and is held in place by retainers on the back of the posts that protrude through the deck lid itself. Said rentainers are VERY difficult to access though....Any tips for removing this emblem?

Many Thanks!

Brad

IMG_3973.jpeg

The Mustang script on your trunk is probably the same as on the front fenders. Has three pins that go into three barrel clips I think they are called. I use a plastic trim removal tool and slowly pry it out of the clips. One pin on each end and one in the middile you have to keep moving the removal tool. Be tough to weld up the holes and match the paint if you remove. Most will never know it is not on Mach 1.

Thanks. Your observation as to painting difficulty is correct, and I hate metallic paint for that reason especially! But I have also removed the trunk mounted spoiler (not for me now, but it was in high school when I added it in 1976!) so I will have to probably re-paint the whole deck lid.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try dental floss to get between the metal and the emblem and pull towards you and away from the trunk.  Great stuff for cars: dental floss!

Sorry I couldn't resist chiming in. Dental Floss eh! 

Actually, that trunk lid must have been changed when the car was repainted and they used what they found. It is not a Mach 1 trunk lid. 

Hello griffbl, 

The script emblem was used on all 72-73 non-Mach 1 model deck lids. While they are similar in appearance, the fender emblems are a different part number from the deck lid version. The  fender script was sourced from the '69 Mustang, while the deck lid version is a 72-73 only part. They are held in place with some barrel nut retainers which usually have a pretty tight grip on the emblem pins. If the floss trick doesn't work you will need to use the  plastic molding tool  David mentioned.

If you get the trunk lid David has, you wont have to worry about the emblem and might be able to recoup some of your costs if you decide to sell it. There is definitely a market for rust free OE sheet metal parts.

The illustrations show the pin locations on the deck lid emblem and  couple of versions of the several service parts barrel nuts Ford used.

6342528-d2zz-a.jpg

375890-s102-1.jpg

nut.jpg

The Mustang script on your trunk is probably the same as on the front fenders. Has three pins that go into three barrel clips I think they are called. I use a plastic trim removal tool and slowly pry it out of the clips. One pin on each end and one in the middile you have to keep moving the removal tool. Be tough to weld up the holes and match the paint if you remove. Most will never know it is not on Mach 1.
I took your advice, thank you!, and pried the Mustang script emblem off with a plastic putty knife, carefully, as I did not have a trim removal tool. While I do have three little holes, I think I will patch temporarily with grey silicone and address when more body work is done a bit later. Thanks for the tip!

Brad

Sorry I couldn't resist chiming in. Dental Floss eh! 

Actually, that trunk lid must have been changed when the car was repainted and they used what they found. It is not a Mach 1 trunk lid. 
Thanks Geoff, you are of course correct. It is not an original Mach 1 lid. Script was dead giveaway.

Try dental floss to get between the metal and the emblem and pull towards you and away from the trunk.  Great stuff for cars: dental floss!
Thanks for the tip! I will try that next time on similar situations.

Best,

Brad

Thanks for the tip! I will try that next time on similar situations.

Best,

Brad
I've used dental floss for years to remove emblems held on with pins with barrel nuts.  Also can be used to remove the barrel nut - which in the case of refinishing / repainting - should also come out.  It's a bit tricky to catch the edge of the flange, but it can be done.

Back