Hughes Torque Converter and FMX trans installation

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 "Q Code"
Good evening everyone, I have a question about my new Hughes 38-25 stall converter from Summit and FMX installation. I installed the converter into the trans and felt 2 good clicks, could not really tell if there was a 3rd or not. With the converter installed in the trans, I put a straight edge across the bellhousing, I get about 1/8 inch between the straight edge and the center snout of the converter and about 1 inch from the straight edge to the bolt holes on the mounting tabs. Does this sound like it is fully installed and I have enough clearance? 

Also, it looks like the bolts that they provided for the install are only about 1/2 inch long, the mounting tabs seem to be further back than that I think I will need longer bolts, any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

Tom

Hi

If you have the original converter you can do A B measurement. In height of the converters, I remember that my original converter moved about 10mm. When torqued to the flywheel.

As long as when you install the trans and go to tighten the converter bolts/ nuts it pulls the convertor forward towards the flexplate you are good...

Good evening everyone, I have a question about my new Hughes 38-25 stall converter from Summit and FMX installation. I installed the converter into the trans and felt 2 good clicks, could not really tell if there was a 3rd or not. With the converter installed in the trans, I put a straight edge across the bellhousing, I get about 1/8 inch between the straight edge and the center snout of the converter and about 1 inch from the straight edge to the bolt holes on the mounting tabs. Does this sound like it is fully installed and I have enough clearance? 

Also, it looks like the bolts that they provided for the install are only about 1/2 inch long, the mounting tabs seem to be further back than that I think I will need longer bolts, any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

Tom

Place your flexplate over the face of the converter and see if everything works. The flexplate is only about 090"~ .125" thick, so a bolt with 1/2" of thread is plenty. 

Use the straightedge against the flexplate and measure from edge to the engine block face, then edge to flexplate face where the converter pads sits. Subtract the two dimensions and compare it to your bell to converter pad dimension. If the converter depth dimension is greater by 3/16" or so, you're good to go. 

Thanks everyone for the responses, got it mounted this morning with good converter spacing. Then when turning the converter to align the flexplate and converter, found out that the bolt holes do not line up. The holes in the converter are about 1/16 low or a little more that will not let me get the converter bolts in properly. I spun the converter around to see if any of the holes would align and none do. 

Nothing is binding, I can reach in through the starter area of the bellhousing and turn the converter. I only have 2 bolts in the bellhousing right now, I wanted to check for binding first, do you think I should put all the bellhousing bolts in first since it's not binding and see if that helps? I have the stock flexplate installed btw. I remember a few posts but can't find them now that someone said they jacked the front of the engine up a little to help with alignment of the converter.  All advice is appreciated, thanks.

Tom

Back