Headlight relays

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
Hey guys, I'm planning on installing headlight relays while replacing my harness. I think I need one for the high beam and one for the low beam to control both sides. I bought a pack of 5 relays and am thinking about running a high and low beam relay on each side for a total of 4. I'm pretty sure this is overkill but is there another negative I'm missing? 

You don't need relays for both sides, only low and high beams.

Okay, electrical stuff is not my forte. I need a headlight relay why? I have halogen sealed beam headlights and have never noticed a problem with flickering or anything else. Please enlighten me.

Okay, electrical stuff is not my forte. I need a headlight relay why? I have halogen sealed beam headlights and have never noticed a problem with flickering or anything else. Please enlighten me.
I had halogen sealed beams as well, and tried several switches, both original Ford and aftermarket by Standard. They all would eventually start tripping the circuit breaker. Doing my due diligence, I cleaned all the connections and grounds, and made sure everything was 100% - no difference. So, I punted and installed the relay kit with great results. My halogen sealed beams were definitely brighter without any tripping issues. After that, I switched to Cibie/Valeo glass housings with Hella H4 halogen bulbs. Total cost was about $150 and it was probably the best money I'd spent on the car in a long time. 

I had halogen sealed beams as well, and tried several switches, both original Ford and aftermarket by Standard. They all would eventually start tripping the circuit breaker. Doing my due diligence, I cleaned all the connections and grounds, and made sure everything was 100% - no difference. So, I punted and installed the relay kit with great results. My halogen sealed beams were definitely brighter without any tripping issues. After that, I switched to Cibie/Valeo glass housings with Hella H4 halogen bulbs. Total cost was about $150 and it was probably the best money I'd spent on the car in a long time. 
Hemikiller, that's interesting, thanks. I switched to Halogen seal beams probably 10 years ago and never had any issues with circuit breakers tripping. Now, to be fair, I don't often drive this car at night, I'm usually home from car shows long before darkness sets in. Perhaps not driving with the lights on for extended periods of time has an impact. For now, I'll stay informed, but the old adage applies, If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I appreciate your knowledge and input as always.

I bought these items on Amazon because I wanted LED without the look of the new ones with halos and goofy colors and stuff. I wanted to retain a original look but reap the benefits of LED. The item says fog lights, but they are really hi/low. --This is without relays. 

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

Amazon.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought these items on Amazon because I wanted LED without the look of the new ones with halos and goofy colors and stuff. I wanted to retain a original look but reap the benefits of LED. The item says fog lights, but they are really hi/low. --This is without relays. 

View attachment 50482

View attachment 50483

View attachment 50484

View attachment 50485

View attachment 50486

View attachment 50487

View attachment 50489

View attachment 50490

View attachment 50491
 Those look tempting, something else to spend my Covid 19 saving on!!. I would think the draw on those would be considerably lees than Halogen bulbs. Without checking, are the plugs the same between 71 and 73?

EDIT: Chris, can you either PM me or post the exact name and number for the LED's.  Couldn't find them on Amazon.ca (Canada) The Hella's are $116 Cdn here, not too bad. 

Those look tempting, something else to spend my Covid 19 saving on!!. I would think the draw on those would be considerably lees than Halogen bulbs. Without checking, are the plugs the same between 71 and 73?

EDIT: Chris, can you either PM me or post the exact name and number for the LED's.  Couldn't find them on Amazon.ca (Canada) The Hella's are $116 Cdn here, not too bad. 
Geoff, Hang tight. I can't find them on Amazon now either. Even if I click my order, it takes me to a different part number. Grr. 

The Hella kit comes with Halogens and the boots for the halogens, that I just put in a drawer. I really just wanted those globes. 71-73 are the same. H4 connectors and 7" globes. Insane amount of different cars ran those back in the day. Super common. 

These would be the equivalent. H4 - No Fan - Plug and Play. Probably the exact same part in a different box with a different name on it. You can see how it has the shade on top of the low beam for a crisp cutoff line so you don't blind other drivers. 

https://www.amazon.com/SEALIGHT-Headlight-Conversion-Xenon-6000LM/dp/B071R3KTBB/ref=sr_1_3?_encoding=UTF8&c=ts&dchild=1&keywords=Automotive+Headlight+Bulbs&qid=1618966536&refinements=p_89%3ASEALIGHT&rnid=2528832011&s=automotive&sr=1-3&ts_id=15730151

The original incandescent headlights drew about 50 watts (4.2 amps) on high beam, halogens draw 60, or more, watts (5 amps). This is an increase of 12% current draw across the switch contacts. Some high power LEDs also say they draw 60 watts. The LED headlight bulbs from SuperBright LEDs draw 2.5, or less, amps.

The original incandescent headlights drew about 50 watts (4.2 amps) on high beam, halogens draw 60, or more, watts (5 amps). This is an increase of 12% current draw across the switch contacts. Some high power LEDs also say they draw 60 watts. The LED headlight bulbs from SuperBright LEDs draw 2.5, or less, amps.
From what I can find on mine which are essentially the same as what I linked Geoff to These lights are roughly 1.5-1.8A and the wattage is roughly 40W per bulb.

View attachment 50482

View attachment 50483

View attachment 50484

View attachment 50485

View attachment 50486

View attachment 50487

View attachment 50489

View attachment 50490

View attachment 50491
I really like those Chris. That's what I've been looking for. Too many of the LED headlights look gaudy to me. Thank you for the links! 

Back