Headlight relays

1 hour ago, Stanglover said:

110+, this is what I woke up to today. 6" f'n snow!!!

20210421_073841.jpg

This global warming is killing us all. Freaking Al Gore...............

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Big Red Mach 1 said:

From what I can find on mine which are essentially the same as what I linked Geoff to These lights are roughly 1.5-1.8A and the wattage is roughly 40W per bulb.

1.8 amps equates to a power draw of about 22 watts (at 12 volts), 40 watts equates to a current draw of about 3.3 amps.

• Like 1

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

9 hours ago, Stanglover said:

Chris, one thing I don't recall you mentioning was connection to the original light plug socket. What if anything did you need to do to connect the new LED's?

Unplug the old ones, plug the new ones right in. No harness or adapter needed. 

• Thanks 1

Chris -  Born in '73 - Drive a '73 / Former U.S. Army 63B10-H8 / 1st Infantry Division - The Big Red One

480x220-cutout.png

13 hours ago, Big Red Mach 1 said:

Unplug the old ones, plug the new ones right in. No harness or adapter needed. 

Thanks. I just ordered the Hella 002395801 kit and the Sealight H4/9003/HB2 LED's, so I guess I'll find out in about a week. Amazon shipping in Canada seems slow these days, no doubt due to Covid.

• Like 1

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

1 minute ago, Stanglover said:

Thanks. I just ordered the Hella 002395801 kit and the Sealight H4/9003/HB2 LED's, so I guess I'll find out in about a week. Amazon shipping in Canada seems slow these days, no doubt due to Covid.

Be very gentle in pulling the harness connectors off the old lights. Like a lot of the under hood plastic components, the hard plastic connectors are brittle and the connectors have probably been hooked up to those lights for a very long time. They don't like to let go easily. Go slow. 

Chris -  Born in '73 - Drive a '73 / Former U.S. Army 63B10-H8 / 1st Infantry Division - The Big Red One

480x220-cutout.png

1 hour ago, Big Red Mach 1 said:

Be very gentle in pulling the harness connectors off the old lights. Like a lot of the under hood plastic components, the hard plastic connectors are brittle and the connectors have probably been hooked up to those lights for a very long time. They don't like to let go easily. Go slow. 

Thanks for the tip. However I did change these from the ones that were on the car, not originals, to the Halogens sealed beam ones just a few years ago, so I'm not expecting any problems, but one never knows. Caution is always a good thing on these cars.

• Like 1

Geoff.

On 4/19/2021 at 12:08 PM, Hemikiller said:

I used this relay pack from Amazon on mine, saves a bunch of time on wiring and the quality is very good. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085N87SR3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hemikiller, I've ordered a pair of Hella headlights and Sealight H4 LED bulbs listed by Chris, that I HOPE fit the Hella's. I got the bulbs today from Amazon.ca, but the headlight won't be here until next weekend. In the meantime, should I order the relay kit you list above and if so, do I need 1 or 2 of these kits. Looking at the ad, it is not clear (to me) if 1 kit does both headlights. Can you please clarify for me/us.

Thanks to all for this info and allowing me to "crash the party" so to speak.

• Like 1

Geoff.

9 hours ago, Stanglover said:

Hemikiller, I've ordered a pair of Hella headlights and Sealight H4 LED bulbs listed by Chris, that I HOPE fit the Hella's. I got the bulbs today from Amazon.ca, but the headlight won't be here until next weekend. In the meantime, should I order the relay kit you list above and if so, do I need 1 or 2 of these kits. Looking at the ad, it is not clear (to me) if 1 kit does both headlights. Can you please clarify for me/us.

Thanks to all for this info and allowing me to "crash the party" so to speak.

Geoff, I ordered the exact same things as you did today. I can’t wait to get them! I thought the halogens were a big improvement over the original ones, but these will be even better.
I think the headlight relay harness helps with making the dashboard board illumination brighter too. One of the best and simplest mods we have done to these cars.

• Like 1

John - 72 Q Code

1 hour ago, jpaz said:

Geoff, I ordered the exact same things as you did today. I can’t wait to get them! I thought the halogens were a big improvement over the original ones, but these will be even better.
I think the headlight relay harness helps with making the dashboard board illumination brighter too. One of the best and simplest mods we have done to these cars.

Oh $hit. My reputation is definitely on the line now.😂 I hope they work out for you guys as well as they did for me. 😁

480x220-cutout.png

I’m sure they will. If they are just like your pics, then they will be great. The halogens were a nice improvement over the originals, but theses look very much brighter. Looking forward to seeing the difference 1st hand. Thanks again for all your work and pics of the difference from old to new.
I will try to see if any difference between them with and without the relay harness. But I don’t think there will be. The difference will be noticed in the dashboard, cause the relay harness takes the load off the dash harness, but I’m definitely not an electrician so I could be wrong about that. I’ll post results when I get them installed.

• Fist Bump 1

John - 72 Q Code

14 minutes ago, jpaz said:

I’m sure they will. If they are just like your pics, then they will be great. The halogens were a nice improvement over the originals, but theses look very much brighter. Looking forward to seeing the difference 1st hand. Thanks again for all your work and pics of the difference from old to new.
I will try to see if any difference between them with and without the relay harness. But I don’t think there will be. The difference will be noticed in the dashboard, cause the relay harness takes the load off the dash harness, but I’m definitely not an electrician so I could be wrong about that. I’ll post results when I get them installed.

I'll ditto that. 

I'll order the relay kit today, so I should get it all about the same time. One little bonus with using the Hella's is we could keep the halogen bulbs in the glove box. They'll probably never get used, but a quick fix if one of the LED's fails.

• Fist Bump 1

Geoff.

On 4/21/2021 at 10:48 AM, Big Red Mach 1 said:

Ouch! At least it will melt quickly! 

Just going back to this, snow was pretty much gone by the end of the day. Problem is "they" got the damn salt trucks out again. Now I need to wait for some heavy rains to get rid of it before I can get the Mustang out again. I'll not drive it on salty roads, period.

• Facepalm 1

Geoff.

So, on Amazon.ca (Canada) this item does not show as Vspec as the brand, but the exact same one is shown as BLIAuto at $26.88 Cdn. I could have ordered from the US but with exchange and shipping,  the Vspec version works out to be the same within a few cents. Also the BLIatuo ships on Prime plus a $2 discount coupon, so it cost me $24.88 and I'll get it next Thursday, which is when the Hella globes will be here. 

Geoff.

50 minutes ago, Stanglover said:

Just going back to this, snow was pretty much gone by the end of the day. Problem is "they" got the damn salt trucks out again. Now I need to wait for some heavy rains to get rid of it before I can get the Mustang out again. I'll not drive it on salty roads, period.

Wow! Salt trucks for snow that was going to be around for less than 24hrs. Ouch. That sucks. 

480x220-cutout.png

1 hour ago, Stanglover said:

One little bonus with using the Hella's is we could keep the halogen bulbs in the glove box. They'll probably never get used, but a quick fix if one of the LED's fails.

Great Idea. 

480x220-cutout.png

6 minutes ago, jpaz said:

We had some snow here the other day but not enough for the salt trucks to go out. I actually drove my car yesterday and it didn’t die on me, lol. 

Although we got 6", the roads were warm enough that it didn't really stick, so a waste of time and money, but as I said before, "liability". Oh well, my new rear sway bar will be here in a day or two, so I'll have some work to do before I'll want to take it out to check out the handling and headlights!

• Like 2

Geoff.

On 4/21/2021 at 10:18 AM, Big Red Mach 1 said:

I have not done any yet, but I changed these in advance of some meets that will be taking place in the evenings once we get into the 110+ degree temps out here.

Chris and others, if and when you decide to swap out old tech for new, take my advice and contact Bill at Hi-Po Parts, https://www.hipoparts.com and have him set you up with better LED's/ SMD's as well as get proper service. Bill is great to work with (assuming he is still in business after this Covid crap). Hope so anyway.

Edited by Stanglover
  • Like 1

Geoff.

Without any intent to hijack droptop73's post regarding headlight relays, I/we as per usual, have strayed a tad off course, from snow fall to headlight replacement with LED's. Well to continue a tad off course, today I received the Hella head lamps, which look pretty good. I received the Sealight H4/9003/HB2 LED bulbs a couple of day ago. I'm still waiting for the BLIAuto H4/9003 (same as Vspec brand Hemikiller listed) headlight wiring relay kit, which I may get tomorrow or Thursday. Once I have all of it, I'll install it. I did check the fit for the bulb and headlamps and no problem. I am however, a little concerned about moisture getting in as there is no seal for the LED's, only the Halogen bulbs (which will go into the glove box) That is something I'll look into, maybe a need to get creative. Pics to come.

Geoff.

12 minutes ago, Stanglover said:

I am however, a little concerned about moisture getting in as there is no seal for the LED's, only the Halogen bulbs (which will go into the glove box) That is something I'll look into, maybe a need to get creative. Pics to come.

Living in AZ and refusing to take my car out on rainy days (we don't have many anyway) I didn't think of a moisture factor. Our typical humidity level is 7-14%. Even with rain in the state right now we are at 21%. LOL.

I do remember their being a gasket on those headlights, but didn't see what it was made out of or how it acts when compressed. Have any more of that rubber sheet I turned you onto for the fuel tank gasket? ;-)

480x220-cutout.png