72 very. 2 Original invoices from Marti?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildbill

Reaction score
My Car
72 Convertable 351C 2V
Hello, I hope this is the right place to post this. I just got the original invoice on my 72 convertable. I received 2 different ones. First one dated 8/26/71 to a dealer in Tn. Invoice says "Property of Ford on consignment not for sale until notified of federal certification dealer is consignee only". It then lists the options/equipment  and dealer cost but has no suggested retail price. Then says ***NOT FOR SALE***. Second invoice is dated 9/11/71 to the same dealer in Tn.  This one has  ***California*** CERTIFICATION PENDING. It also lists dealer cost and has a suggested  retail price. Dealer cost is different on the 2 invoices and the second one adds color keyed racing mirrors and wheel covers to the options list. I am confused as to why the 2 invoices and the difference in pricing. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated. 

Following.  Very Interesting.  Wonder if Ford duplicated VINs?  Have you asked Marti for any clarification?  Are the options the same, color, engine, etc?  It will help if you could post the two reports.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will post the invoices shortly. They appear to be for the same vehicle. Everything matches the car that I have. Everything is the same with the addition of the color keyed mirrors and wheel covers. Prices for options are higher on the first one.

I have heard of two or more invoices before but not in this situation. The only located 1971 Boss 302 had I think three different ones. Also had multiple door stickers. You might see if you see evidence of multiple door stickers on your car. The first 50 Boss 429 cars, that are considered prototypes, all had two invoices one as a 428 and one as a Boss 429 local guy here has one of them.
I had a friend that swears the Ford built her dad a Boss convertible. He was the General Manager at the engine plant for Ford. She passed away was going to try to find a picture of it.
Have you tried to contact the original dealer to see if still in business? What is the DSO code on the car? Any special order non factory color and trim have a six digit DSO code and the build sheet will tell any special items added. The build sheet was tossed into the car before the carpet was put down and sometimes is still there. If you check for it remove the carpet slowly might be stuck to back side and can also be under the thick sound deadening pad or stuck in a seat frame or seat riser.

Just posted the Marti reports. Marti Paperwork says sent to a dealer in Donelson, TN. Not able to locate. Ford invoice says shipped to Crown Ford, Nashville, TN. Google shows that dealer is still in business.

Your car was an VERY early build. The invoice wording indicates to me that the vehicle was built and shipped before the feds had granted whatever certifications were needed for the new 72 Mustangs.  The shipping invoice denotes this in my opinion. I assume Ford would have followed up with the dealer to permit the vehicle to be sold

Your car was an VERY early build. The invoice wording indicates to me that the vehicle was built and shipped before the feds had granted whatever certifications were needed for the new 72 Mustangs.  The shipping invoice denotes this in my opinion. I assume Ford would have followed up with the dealer to permit the vehicle to be sold
Misspoke a bit....I think the second invoice would represent after the fed cert was granted. No idea why there was a value difference between the 2

The CALlFORNIA CERTIFICATION PENDING is what throws me. Why would it need CA. Certification if it was at a dealer in TN.? Or did ALL vehicles require separate certification for CA.?

Back