Front shock upper rubber isolators so deteriorated that....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffbl

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1
2014 Ford F150
2018 Porsche Panamera

[url=https://ibb.co/i2uhXQ][img]https://preview.ibb.co/h0A0K5/815f.jpg[/img][/url]
I have new shocks and springs on the way.....I have been trying to defeat some rattles, which are too numerous today. I think I found another. The Rubber isolators on the front shocks have decayed and the driver's side does not actually seem to be supported at this point! When I push on the fender, I can see the shock is no longer secured to set shock tower cap. I guess the rubber cracks out, and the diameter reduces to the point that it simply passes up and down through the hole in the shock tower cap. Just curious, are the rubber bushings / shock hardware available without shocks by any vendors? I am glad those springs and shocks are on the way....Some shocks do not seem to have rubber nearly so large as were these originally....After looking at this some more, I think I much prefer the way Shocks on 65-70' Mustangs attach at the top. Seems much more secure? Thanks!

IMG_4025.jpeg

IMG_4026.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get replacement grommets from Rock Auto.  Also, the grommets get torn up from have the front end suspend without the control arms being held in place by a special tool or block of wood.  See below from one of the many post on this issue along with an article it.

Ford Front Suspension Support Tool by Tommy Zees - Page 2 - Suspension, Handling, Brakes, Wheels and Tires - 7173Mustangs.com

Lift Classic Mustangs and Avoid Suspension Damage (mustangandfords.com)
Thanks Kilgon! Great Info.

Best,

Brad

I see lots complain about the rubber is not good but like stated every Ford service manual tells you to block the upper control arm when picking the car up so the spring does not crush the rubber. I got new ones at a local auto supply also. I just keep blocks of wood at my 2 post lift to place between the upper control arm and the frame rail.

The quality of the rubber on the front shocks as definitely changed over the years. I used to let the suspension hang suspended in air over the winter in the 80's, 90's...  on the same front shocks. Never had an issue. The last ten years or so, if I do this, it blows out the upper engine compartment rubber... Cheap ass quality... I now have cut some wood blocks to use.

The quality of the rubber on the front shocks as definitely changed over the years. I used to let the suspension hang suspended in air over the winter in the 80's, 90's...  on the same front shocks. Never had an issue. The last ten years or so, if I do this, it blows out the upper engine compartment rubber... Cheap ass quality... I now have cut some wood blocks to use.
 No doubt! Back in 1982, I stored my 72 Mach for 5 years up on 18" specially made jack stands (hopefully to stop mice getting in, but it didn't stop a rat!) with the suspension hanging and no problem with the shock rubbers. I didn't know any difference back then.

There are always those special people that do not follow Ford manuals and never have an issue. I have original cars with original rubber and they split if you do not block the arms. There is a parts house here that closed in the 80's and has lots of original NOS parts. Rubber is rubber if you compress it to nothing it splits. Your front springs must be shot if they did not split. Never designed to have spring pressure on them only shock pressure which is nothing compared to the springs.

There are always those special people that do not follow Ford manuals and never have an issue. I have original cars with original rubber and they split if you do not block the arms. There is a parts house here that closed in the 80's and has lots of original NOS parts. Rubber is rubber if you compress it to nothing it splits. Your front springs must be shot if they did not split. Never designed to have spring pressure on them only shock pressure which is nothing compared to the springs.
Special people? Ha. Your responses are always special... Re read my post. I never had an issue in the early days having the suspension hanging. No spring issues either, but nice try. Carry on.

Thank you again for the link, as my auto parts stores, being autozone who said they could order them, but O'Reilly's said they did not have them were no help. I will pick them up at Summit tomorrow. Great price. THANK YOU AGAIN SO MUCH FOR THE LINK TO THE RIGHT PRODUCT AT THE RIGHT PRICE! Any tips on how to install these anybody?? Do I have to pull the shock tower caps?

Best,

Brad

Thank you again for the link, as my auto parts stores, being autozone who said they could order them, but O'Reilly's said they did not have them were no help. I will pick them up at Summit tomorrow. Great price. THANK YOU AGAIN SO MUCH FOR THE LINK TO THE RIGHT PRODUCT AT THE RIGHT PRICE! Any tips on how to install these anybody?? Do I have to pull the shock tower caps?

Best,

Brad
To change both, the upper AND the lower, you have to remove the shock tower caps. 

To change both, the upper AND the lower, you have to remove the shock tower caps. 
Thanks Tim. I now see that the diameter of the hole in the Shock tower cap is less than the 1.25" OD of the bushings, so I will remove them as you describe to get both upper bushings installed for each side for the front shocks. 

Thanks again,

Brad

Last edited by a moderator:
Back