10w30 or 20w50?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande 351C
71 Mach 1 429CJ
Hey guys,

Just received oil filters, so I can change oil now. Just before I do...
I used to push 20w50 mineral rich in ZDDP for my 351c, but saw on few occasions across some reads that 10w30 could be a better choice.

What are your thoughts on this? 

I have a 460 but am also using the Lucas 10w40 Hot Rod oil.  I have read a lot on this topic on numerous sites and there seems to be just as many suggestions at to what weight is best.  I would say that as long as you stay within the 10w30 to 10w40 range you should be ok. 

The main thing to be concerned about is getting a brand that has the added zinc especially if you have a flat tappet cam.  As mentioned  in a lot of the post this will help prolong the life of our engines.  Besides Lucas Hot Rod oil Valvoline VR1 has a high zinc content.  Penn Grade, Mobil and Driven are also a few other brands out there.  You want to make sure is says ZDDP Enhanced on the label which is the zinc anti-wear additive. 

Last edited by a moderator:
15W-40 in all my old cars. It is the best of both worlds between 10W-30 and 10W-40 in my opinion and the best fitting for our changing climate you and me have in Middle Europe. 

20W-50 is too heavy in my opinion and only for engines which are totally worn out and only hot summer conditions. When I see how slow moving it is and then have the looong oil channels of the Cleveland in mind... no. I used it once and had the feeling, it was not that good. If you have a rebuilt engine I do not want to use anyway. 

I use this regularly: 

https://www.rektol-klassik.de/de/REKTOL-SE-15W-40---SAE-15W-40---API-SE-CC.html

I has a good amount of ZPPD integrated. 

I use all of their oil for all my needs: axle, transmission, engine, power steering etc. Why? Because their are friendly, excellent service, reliable, self made products and I used it for years without oil-based problems. 

But for everyone his own - oil is a delicate topic. As oil change intervals, tires, lube and many others too  :beer:

I use Brad Penn "Penn Grade" SAE 10W-40 Partial Synthetic High Performance Oil "The Green Oil" contains high levels of Zinc and Phosphorous!

Recommended by my engine builder!

Oil is like water lots of different brands but most work if you add the zinc. I have always in the past used Gulf racing oil until they sort of went away and then went to Havoline in 10-30 or 10-40. Never had an engine failure in over 2,000,000 miles. I personally would stay away from synthetic. Newer engines have different rings, seals and for sure way less valve spring pressure. The 351 C has monster valve springs compared to what is in a Coyote today they look like something out of a lawn mower.
I was reading some on the costs to run the electric cars and in California there is a fleet of Tesla's and all have over 300,000 miles and one I think was right at 500,000 miles. You do not have oil to change or hoses and stuff to go bad. There were some issues with battery but was covered under warranty. They are claiming no limit to miles you can run them. Crash took of them out. I think they said cost to operate was under what it is for typical fuel vehicle. A 17 year old kid started the business running shuttles in southern California with them. I think they said two charges a day. Times keep changing.
I can remember my grandfather coming to the house to see our new TV that my mom won in a contest. He kept looking behind the TV to see where the picture was coming from. Blew his mind. We had one channel for years and did not come on until in afternoon and signed off at midnight and put the test pattern up, lol. Now look at what is out there. I turned my TV off has not been on in 4 months now.

My last reply was kinda short. 

So here's what I'm gonna go with:

Classic-Pistoneeze-10w30-791x1024.png

https://millersoils.nl/product/nieuw-classic-pistoneeze-10w30-millers-oils/

Plus there is a car that looks familiar on the can, so must be good! :D
Thanks again for the replies guys.

Mine at the moment is Lucas High Zinc 10W40 - followed by half a cup of Edelbrock additive 

Thinking of going back to Valvoline High Zinc 

Lucas.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used Lucas hotrod oil for a few years now. 10-40. It has some of the highest zinc ppm out there....2100ppm.

Valvoline High Zinc is excellent oil, but ‘only’ has 1200ppm.

Sunoco have a new classic car oil....2000ppm.......Seems fine too.

https://schaeffersoilshop.com/products/0708-006-supreme™-7000-synthetic-plus-racing-oil-15w-40

this is for 6 gallons

can find it for less if you look around.

Problem with adding zinc is it might not work with the rest of the additive package.

Problem with using diesel oil is the additive package has been changed and also diesel oil doesn't handle water very well. Gas and especially ethanol blend makes a lot more water than diesel fuel does and the water gets in the oil.

Ok, so fine for all our US friends, but here in Ontario, Canada, I have not been able to find any oils that stipulate the Zinc content. If some oils do, then one has to get the magnifier out to read the "small print". IF anyone here knows of a readily available oil, I'm interested. The only AmsOil dealer I knew of, no longer sells the products. 

I have used Castrol 10W30 conventional oil with a 4 oz bottle of ZDDP added for as long as I've owned my car, 12 years, without any known problems. It gets changed yearly whether it needs it or not and that's MY choice.

Back