1971 mustang unibody (frame) dimensions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

302429c

Reaction score
My Car
71 mustang
20210419_194549.jpgHi there guys thought I would share these pages since I have them out. I have two unibody dimension prints. One is from the ford service manual. The second is from an old aftermarket unibody dimension book. Download the photos let me know if you can read them if not PM me  Enjoy

20210419_194517.jpg

20210419_194549.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish you were closer to the Carolinas Kevin. My body guy bought an original Ford frame machine with all the specs and doodads for early Mustangs. He is overhauling a 69 Boss 429 that I would have waaaay given up for dead.  I saw it on the machine today. Very impressive. 

Wish you were closer to the Carolinas Kevin. My body guy bought an original Ford frame machine with all the specs and doodads for early Mustangs. He is overhauling a 69 Boss 429 that I would have waaaay given up for dead.  I saw it on the machine today. Very impressive. 
I appreciate the info.  But what fun is it if you don't do it yourself? LOL!!   I got a little work ahead of me. 

BE8DCB2B-A275-4802-B4E4-3ED43226AAF7.jpeg

I thought there was a "place" for items like this, I could've swore to it. Heck I printed one off for our 72 project prior to going to the bodyshop. Another disturbing memory, considering the bodyshop guys response when I handed a copy to him. He looked confused.

I think that Ray had put copies of the Chassis dimensions on the site years ago. Did they go away with the new system?
The place where I worked scrapped a huge cast iron table that was used to inspect automotive stampings. You could sit an entire Ford van on it. I was in China following tooling when they took it out and sold it for scrap. I am sure one of the NASCAR shops would have loved had it. When I would go to the Ford assembly plants their quality room always has what is called a Buck for each vehicle. It is basically a huge assembly fixture. You do a set of panels at your shop and do what they call blue and scribe panels. You have a fixture at the stamping house and you put on CMM and scribe a 100 mm grid on the parts to the XYZ coordinates. Every part on the car is designed from the ZERO, ZERO, ZERO of the XYZ. So you go to the assembly plant and they put your parts into the buck which uses the same two way and four way locators and nets and clamps. So with the blueing on the parts and scribe lines you can see if your part aligns to the adjacent parts at a glance. Of course you have to supply the inspection reports also. After the quality and assembly people at Ford have viewed the drill holes and screw the parts together and you end up with an entire chassis as a screw build. This is where you will find any radius or trim edge that might interfere with another part. If you ever go into the BMW facility in Spartanburg / Greenville, S.C. there is a row of CMM since they do several different models in one plant. Same at Ford.
So after the screw build they will do some limited builds with first parts. As a supplier you have to be standing there as they assemble the vehicle. If anything does not fit or clear you are on the hot seat. I have seen errors in the Ford weld assembly fixture that our parts would not fit and of course you as the part supplier are always assumed to be wrong, lol. After a few quick measurements the Ford engineers saw their error. They take those bodies through weld then paint and assembly all the body parts. After the engineers review them they take out back and crush them. They do take some through final assembly and interior and drive trains go in for testing.
To build an accurate Chassis JIG at home would be quite an undertaking. Unless you have a laser scanner to check things with would be difficult to hold tolerances. With any mustang the first place it needs to go is to a frame shop and pull the chassis back to zero. They place I use can pull I think 45 tons in any direction. Some of the newer frame machines are quite complex. Most vehicles today cannot have the frames straightened. My son drove his new F-150 off about a 2' drop on the side of the road and the left front 20" wheel exploded causing it to blow all the side air bags thinking it was rolling over and it did not. When the Ford dealer put it on frame machine and checked it the frame was twisted and they would not pull it due to type of steel it was made from so totaled it. Same sort of thing happened to a friend with a Chevy dual wheel crew cab. Not a bent piece of sheet metal on the body but the Right Front of the frame was bent and they would not pull it. Totaled it would have to change the whole frame to fix.
The gauges you hang from the chassis are quite expensive to buy also. I buy most of my stuff from Auto Body Toolmart they carry a full line of the gauges you hang on the chassis. Go to autobodytoolmart.com to view.

This is all great information, were the dimensions the same across all years though? I'm looking for the same sheets for my 73 which I've just made a start on.

Each Ford service manual has them I think every year is on the site. These cars were built closer than most think just over time they get all twisted and out of shape. The pieces were held to within a few thousandths of an inch not just thrown together. Tooling work was all I did from the 60's on up so had lots of personal contact.

Back