Ford wiring diagrams - Idiots guide to colour codes?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bdennis

Reaction score
Guys,

I picked up a 72 Mustang wiring diagram manual (Jim Osborn reproductions).

While the manual is very handy.. I think it is missing a legend for the manual.

By this I mean an explanation of the colour codes, an explanation in the bold lines, dashed bold lines, location of connectors (ie they all have connector numbers, just not where they are located).. etc etc

Some wires have a solid trace on them all the way along, but then some have just dots as a trace. Does the wiring diagram differentiate between a solid trace and a dotted trace.

Most I can guess.. But would be handy to have a decoder..

Any suggestions or links to anything would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go to the Wiki section at the top of the page you will find the schematics for all 3 years.  The 72 and 73 don't really have the wiring color code spelled out.  You will find this in the 71 manual.  The color code and wire number is the same for all 3 years.  So if you look at  wire #60 in the  71 schematic it is shown to be black with light green dot.  It is the same for the 72 and 73.  I know it's a pia but you can take a few minutes and go through the 71 and copy the codes off each page. Also, there are more wires than colors so they used the main primary colors (red, blue, black etc.) and added the dots, stripes and dashes to allow for enough color codes. 

As far as connector locations there is no direct way of telling exactly where a connector might be located. The 71 schematic is drawn in such a way that they show the main front to rear harness connector.  If you look at it most every thing on the left hand side of the page from the main connector is in the engine compartment and everything else on the right hand side is in the passenger or trunk area. 

The 72 -73 schematics are layout so to be laid side by side to create one big schematic. If you use the "component grid locator" on page 1 it will tell you where that circuit is located  on the schematic.  Your general knowledge of the location of most of these items will guide you to where they are, example - front turn signal etc. Make sure that you take the time to read any notes on the pages.  

Hope this helps some.

FYI - This page is missing from the 71schematic.Miising page 2.jpg

This vintage of Ford documentation does not have connector locations.  It's not real clear what wires are in what harnesses either - they use harness part numbers in the wiring diagrams so you need to get familiar with all of that.  I have been working on fixing this in a program called RapidHarness.  I've filled out my quota of free stuff, so once I have some dedicated time I'll buck up for a short term license and finish it.  RapidHarness is a tool for creating harnesses for production, so all of the wire colors, connector types and functions will be in the prints. 

Someday...

I'm not sure if this is still available, but I bought a CD for the "1971 Colorized Mustang Wiring and Vacuum Diagrams" by Forel Publishing. The big problem with this is the licensing agreement and activating the disc. I have tried to email Forel, but had no reply, since I upgraded to Windows 10. It worked great before on older versions, but I'm having trouble accessing it now. There may be a newer version by now, but I've not checked. It was quite good and helped me a lot, but........... 

There were the other years, but as mine is a 71, that's all I know.

That CD is still out there.  Forel has improved their licensing so you don't have to use that frustrating digital licensing program they had.
Confirming this.  The old way they handled digital rights was 100% DOA on the newest Apple versions (Mac and iPads/iPhones) as well; newer version of the Forel product works great.

That CD is still out there.  Forel has improved their licensing so you don't have to use that frustrating digital licensing program they had.
 THAT"S good to know. That system for licensing was a complete failure imo. Forel never replied to any of my emails concerning that fact. I'll try another email, maybe I won't have to buy new CD's. I also have the body one too.

THAT"S good to know. That system for licensing was a complete failure imo. Forel never replied to any of my emails concerning that fact. I'll try another email, maybe I won't have to buy new CD's. I also have the body one too.
If you have your license keys, they will send you PDFs for whatever you have purchased.  They were Very Easy to work with.

The problem with the Osborne manuals is they are incomplete. The 72-up diagrams that the dealers used had separate connector pin location breakout diagrams, the 71 were as drawn. Osborne, and others who included diagrams in their manuals - Haynes comes to mind - seemed to think that pinouts and info on how to read the diagram were unimportant. 

The Osborne 71/72 electrical manuals are awful and incomplete, as they don't show you the connectors which are on the bottom of the full page technician versions.  There is no 73 electrical manual and 73 is different than 72's. 

Back