Ram air with Quickfuel 650-675 brawler

Hello,

I'am trying to install a ram air on mis 73 Q  code. But the carburator has been replace by a Quickfuel 650-675 brawler .  But it is to high, and i can't close the hood. (in fact, there are 2 bolts on the carburator whcih raise the bottom of the aire box..). Does anyone has already solved this problem ?

Vincent.

Got it.

I'm running a 670 brawler with my ram air setup - I bought a 1/4 inch spacer from Jegs (for the top of the carb, not the base) to make sure it cleared the float adjusters.

Edit - it was Jegs, not Summit. Link below:

https://www.jegs.com/i/RPC/707/R2013XB/10002/-1

I have no idea how they are shipping international.

Edited by 71coop

Black 1971 Mach 1

351C/FMX/TrickFlow Heads/Lunati Retro Roller Conversion

Classic Auto AC, Manual Front Discs, Upgraded Springs/Shocks/Close-Ratio Steering

IMG-2977.jpg

Was the intake manifold also replaced, or just the carburetor? If it was just the carburetor it likely has an adapter between the carburetor and intake manifold, which would make the carburetor too high.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

8 hours ago, Don C said:

Was the intake manifold also replaced, or just the carburetor? If it was just the carburetor it likely has an adapter between the carburetor and intake manifold, which would make the carburetor too high.

If think it's the case.. unfortunatly for me...

Vincent.

Got it.

8 hours ago, 71coop said:

I'm running a 670 brawler with my ram air setup - I bought a 1/4 inch spacer from Jegs (for the top of the carb, not the base) to make sure it cleared the float adjusters.

Edit - it was Jegs, not Summit. Link below:

https://www.jegs.com/i/RPC/707/R2013XB/10002/-1

I have no idea how they are shipping international.

Thanks, that's the answer i was searching for !... before I understand that the carburetor was in fact to high...  :(

Vincent.

Got it.

I am pretty sure the 1973 Ram Air is different to allow for the different motor mounts 1" higher engine mounts. I have one on my 1973 with the Ford carburetor and stock intake. Hood closes. I leave it unlatched all the time in garage so the rubber is not pushing against the plenum.

20210327_142443.jpg

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Original intake manifold with what appears to be about a 1-inch thick adapter plus a 1/4-inch thick insulator is why it won't close. You have three options, get a new low profile intake manifold and use that carburetor, remove the adapter and install a 4300D carburetor, or modify your air cleaner base so it sits lower on the carburetor.

--Albert Einstein

@B229218 did you mean that the egr plate is the 1/4-inch thick insulator ?  I thought it was there to prevent vapor lock ?

@Don C I guess that the third solution will be the one..  I have  friend who is very talented  in metal..

Vincent.

Got it.

The insulator is to help prevent fuel percolation in the fuel bowls. Vapor lock occurs at the inlet to the fuel pump, caused by fuel in the fuel line between the pump and tank vaporizing due to heat and low pressure caused by the suction of the fuel pump.

--Albert Einstein

You can cut the top lip for the gasket and reweld it lower to gain about 5/8". I kept my original plenum intact and did this to another one I bought in this site.

Stock plenum with 1" lip:20210425_183632.thumb.jpg.7d8ba49b29829fa4f5d7923ab762793e.jpg

Modified plenum with about 3/8" lip:20210425_183831.thumb.jpg.403ab19f189e8d4e10f0b8cd8425b4a7.jpg

• Like 1

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

A bit more work, but I'm running the taller Blue Thunder intake with a 1/4" spacer under my Ram Air, by running 71-72 motor mounts on 73 frame mounts. Just one more option for you. 

Chris -  Born in '73 - Drive a '73 / Former U.S. Army 63B10-H8 / 1st Infantry Division - The Big Red One

480x220-cutout.png

19 hours ago, tony-muscle said:

You can cut the top lip for the gasket and reweld it lower to gain about 5/8". I kept my original plenum intact and did this to another one I bought in this site.

Stock plenum with 1" lip:20210425_183632.thumb.jpg.7d8ba49b29829fa4f5d7923ab762793e.jpg

Modified plenum with about 3/8" lip:20210425_183831.thumb.jpg.403ab19f189e8d4e10f0b8cd8425b4a7.jpg

Great job !

Vincent.

Got it.

4 hours ago, Big Red Mach 1 said:

A bit more work, but I'm running the taller Blue Thunder intake with a 1/4" spacer under my Ram Air, by running 71-72 motor mounts on 73 frame mounts. Just one more option for you. 

Well... that will be a little too hard for me... :whistling:

Vincent.

Got it.

11 hours ago, Big Red Mach 1 said:

Interesting that I am running the same BT intake with 1/4" spacer in my 71 and I won't be able to fit it without modifying the plenum. Are you using the stock seal or a thinner seal?

• Like 1

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

11 hours ago, tony-muscle said:

Interesting that I am running the same BT intake with 1/4" spacer in my 71 and I won't be able to fit it without modifying the plenum. Are you using the stock seal or a thinner seal?

Stock. What frame mounts are you using? The 73's are shorter in height. 

Chris -  Born in '73 - Drive a '73 / Former U.S. Army 63B10-H8 / 1st Infantry Division - The Big Red One

480x220-cutout.png

12 hours ago, tony-muscle said:

I should also mention that I had to lower my fan shroud pretty low in order to get this to work. 

480x220-cutout.png

13 hours ago, Big Red Mach 1 said:

Stock. What frame mounts are you using? The 73's are shorter in height. 

That may be it. I am using the stock 71s. So your engine is about 1/2"  to 3/4" lower i guess.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, tony-muscle said:

That may be it. I am using the stock 71s. So your engine is about 1/2"  to 3/4" lower i guess.

Yes. About dead in the middle of that.

Closer to 5/8 from what I could tell. Worked great. 

480x220-cutout.png

42 minutes ago, Big Red Mach 1 said:

Yes. About dead in the middle of that.

Closer to 5/8 from what I could tell. Worked great. 

That makes sense because that's what I had to lower the RAM air plenum in my case. The interesting thing is that if that mount combination lowers the engine, that's a good idea for lowering the CG of our cars to improve cornering. It also would improve the drivetrain angle in my case since I had to increase it in order to fit the TKO600 transmission.

Edited by tony-muscle
  • Like 1