Ram air with Quickfuel 650-675 brawler

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Machvince

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach One Q code
Hello,

I'am trying to install a ram air on mis 73 Q  code. But the carburator has been replace by a Quickfuel 650-675 brawler .  But it is to high, and i can't close the hood. (in fact, there are 2 bolts on the carburator whcih raise the bottom of the aire box..). Does anyone has already solved this problem ?

I'm running a 670 brawler with my ram air setup - I bought a 1/4 inch spacer from Jegs (for the top of the carb, not the base) to make sure it cleared the float adjusters.

Edit - it was Jegs, not Summit. Link below:

https://www.jegs.com/i/RPC/707/R2013XB/10002/-1

I have no idea how they are shipping international.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was the intake manifold also replaced, or just the carburetor? If it was just the carburetor it likely has an adapter between the carburetor and intake manifold, which would make the carburetor too high.

Was the intake manifold also replaced, or just the carburetor? If it was just the carburetor it likely has an adapter between the carburetor and intake manifold, which would make the carburetor too high.
If think it's the case.. unfortunatly for me...

I'm running a 670 brawler with my ram air setup - I bought a 1/4 inch spacer from Jegs (for the top of the carb, not the base) to make sure it cleared the float adjusters.

Edit - it was Jegs, not Summit. Link below:

https://www.jegs.com/i/RPC/707/R2013XB/10002/-1

I have no idea how they are shipping international.
Thanks, that's the answer i was searching for !... before I understand that the carburetor was in fact to high...  :(

Here are some pics of the carburetor.

After some tries, and the air box of the ram just on the carburetor, i can't even close the hood ...

20210424_113746.jpg

20210424_113758.jpg

Original intake manifold with what appears to be about a 1-inch thick adapter plus a 1/4-inch thick insulator is why it won't close. You have three options, get a new low profile intake manifold and use that carburetor, remove the adapter and install a 4300D carburetor, or modify your air cleaner base so it sits lower on the carburetor.

Or ditch that egr plate, car is already not stock so why keep p.o.s. smog part?

@B229218 did you mean that the egr plate is the 1/4-inch thick insulator ?  I thought it was there to prevent vapor lock ?

@Don C I guess that the third solution will be the one..  I have  friend who is very talented  in metal..

The insulator is to help prevent fuel percolation in the fuel bowls. Vapor lock occurs at the inlet to the fuel pump, caused by fuel in the fuel line between the pump and tank vaporizing due to heat and low pressure caused by the suction of the fuel pump.

You can cut the top lip for the gasket and reweld it lower to gain about 5/8". I kept my original plenum intact and did this to another one I bought in this site.

Stock plenum with 1" lip:20210425_183632.jpg

Modified plenum with about 3/8" lip:20210425_183831.jpg

A bit more work, but I'm running the taller Blue Thunder intake with a 1/4" spacer under my Ram Air, by running 71-72 motor mounts on 73 frame mounts. Just one more option for you. 
Well... that will be a little too hard for me... :whistling:

A bit more work, but I'm running the taller Blue Thunder intake with a 1/4" spacer under my Ram Air, by running 71-72 motor mounts on 73 frame mounts. Just one more option for you. 
Interesting that I am running the same BT intake with 1/4" spacer in my 71 and I won't be able to fit it without modifying the plenum. Are you using the stock seal or a thinner seal?

Back