Sway Bar Brands

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Sportsroof Bright Red.

I am getting ready to replace my front and rear sway bars.  I've been following jpaz post on the Addco and their redesign 7/8 rear end one.  I was wondering if anyone out there has used ST Suspensions sway bars.  Did a search of the post on here to see if anyone had posted about them but didn't find any results. 

They have a front / rear kit that is about $100 less than Addco's.  The front is 1 1/8 and the rear is 3/4.  Granted that Addco's rear is 7/8 but I don't think it would be a noticeable difference in the performance of the car between the two.    If the quality and performance of them are good I can spend the $100 I'm saving elsewhere on the car.    I'm open to any input.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am getting ready to replace my front and rear sway bars.  I've been following jpaz post on the Addco and their redesign 7/8 rear end one.  I was wondering if anyone out there has used ST Suspensions sway bars.  Did a search of the post on here to see if anyone had posted about them but didn't find any results. 

They have a front / rear kit that is about $100 less than Addco's.  The front is 1 1/8 and the rear is 3/4.  Granted that Addco's rear is 7/8 but I don't think it would be a noticeable difference in the performance of the car between the two.    If the quality and performance of them are good I can spend the $100 I'm saving elsewhere on the car.    I'm open to any input.
 Kilgon, Just one consideration. The 7/8" bar I believe is ONLY for cars that had a factory installed bar. I think they have a 3/4" bar as a conversion option. If so, you will want to check on the fit to the frame rails. Somehow, they screwed up the 7/8" bar design, so I would check with Addco on that. You can "start a chat" or email or phone them. Trusting the vendors for answers might not get you to the truth. As for other brands, I would want to know where they are made and possibly what grade steel. Way too much Chinese and Indian junk out there for my liking. Also warranty. Addco have a forever warranty........ if that means anything!

Oh, and imho, rubber bushings!!

Kilgon, Just one consideration. The 7/8" bar I believe is ONLY for cars that had a factory installed bar. I think they have a 3/4" bar as a conversion option. If so, you will want to check on the fit to the frame rails. Somehow, they screwed up the 7/8" bar design, so I would check with Addco on that. You can "start a chat" or email or phone them. Trusting the vendors for answers might not get you to the truth. As for other brands, I would want to know where they are made and possibly what grade steel. Way too much Chinese and Indian junk out there for my liking. Also warranty. Addco have a forever warranty........ if that means anything!

Oh, and imho, rubber bushings!!
Very good point on the warranty.  I checked and the ST Suspension warranty is only two years.  I guess I will go with the Addco's.  Will get in touch with them on Monday.  I'll check on the 3/4 conversion.  As  I mentioned in jpaz post someone added the 1/2 rear bar and WELDED the brackets to the frame.  tony-muscle is going to get me the measures of where the brackets should be.

Very good point on the warranty.  I checked and the ST Suspension warranty is only two years.  I guess I will go with the Addco's.  Will get in touch with them on Monday.  I'll check on the 3/4 conversion.  As  I mentioned in jpaz post someone added the 1/2 rear bar and WELDED the brackets to the frame.  tony-muscle is going to get me the measures of where the brackets should be.
 I'm expecting my bar today or tomorrow and as the weather is expected to be good, I'll get the car out of garage and put it on. While at it, I'll get those measurements for you and some pics. I also need to pull the right rear brake drum and reverse that brake adjuster spring I put on wrong. (that is just a reminder to self!) 

Stay tuned.

I'll check on the 3/4 conversion.  As  I mentioned in jpaz post someone added the 1/2 rear bar and WELDED the brackets to the frame.  tony-muscle is going to get me the measures of where the brackets should be.
If you are planning to use the Addco 3/4” bar, its brackets may be a little different position than stock. That system assumes no pre-existing bracket; you drill for the bracket based on the location of the bar after the end link assemblies are positioned on the springs and the end links are vertical (see pic of directions for the 3/4” bar).

I just purchased this one myself since I only have a 1” bar at front and wanted the difference between front and rear to be more than 1/8”.  I also have a rear disc setup (Explorer conversion) and felt like installing a stock style rear anti-sway bar would interfere with my brake line routing and be a tight squeeze between spring and wheel. 

I haven’t installed yet. 

FF138151-B26D-4D81-AE77-FD665BBD4577.jpeg

I was looking through my old 2019 NPD catalog and there is only Addco that so rear bars for the 71-73's, Scott Drake only list up to 70 and so do Hellwig. Street Bandit list a complete kit with 3/4" rear bar for $683, but it has a bunch of stuff you don't need. I don't know without doing some searching if there are any other brand options out there. I did not check the NPD website for any updates.

I was looking through my old 2019 NPD catalog and there is only Addco that so rear bars for the 71-73's, Scott Drake only list up to 70 and so do Hellwig. Street Bandit list a complete kit with 3/4" rear bar for $683, but it has a bunch of stuff you don't need. I don't know without doing some searching if there are any other brand options out there. I did not check the NPD website for any updates.
TCP sells an adjustable 3/4" rear sway bar for our mustangs. Doesn't use the stock mounting points, but looks pretty well designed. I was going to get one before I decided on going with a 3 link setup instead.

http://www.totalcontrolproducts.com/arrm.html

I have looked at those and also at Summit Racing.  Besides the ones you have listed Summit carries Belltech which shows a  rear one for 71-73's.  They look pretty simple to install but my Global West frame connectors are in the way if I went that way.  It looks like they also offer a lifetime warranty on their sway bars.   I plan on going with Addco since it seems to be the better of the choices out there and they seems to be more than willing to help out with any install issues that might come up.  Good support is well worth a few extra dollars. Hope your upgrade goes smooth. 

I have looked at those and also at Summit Racing.  Besides the ones you have listed Summit carries Belltech which shows a  rear one for 71-73's.  They look pretty simple to install but my Global West frame connectors are in the way if I went that way.  It looks like they also offer a lifetime warranty on their sway bars.   I plan on going with Addco since it seems to be the better of the choices out there and they seems to be more than willing to help out with any install issues that might come up.  Good support is well worth a few extra dollars. Hope your upgrade goes smooth. 
My bar just arrived a few minutes ago. I did unpack it and did a quick comparison to the original Ford bar. I don't see an issue other than the eyes for the link rods are a little closer than the original. I won't now be able to do it until tomorrow now. I'll take lots of pics.

The TCP one is another option, although not sure how it would work under the axle. 

Kilgon, as promised, here are the dimensions from my Addco 990 sway bar for vehicles fitted with factory rear sway bars. I thought abut drawings, but decided it would be easier with pictures and a tape measure. These of course will likely be different for a non sway bar car installation and that is something to be figured out at the time.

Anyway, hope this helps. From the rubber bump-stop bracket bottom edge to the C/L of first bolt hole is 6 1/4" and to the rear hole 9". ( I thought I took a better pic to show that) The mount bracket will have slotted holes, so if you're out a tad, it won't make a lot of difference, Those dimensions are just with a tape, so not too accurate, but close. See pics. and ask questions if needed. The side to side measurements I just used the clearest piece of the tape to show.

See other pics in Jpazz's post.

IMG_1780.JPG

IMG_1781.JPG

IMG_1783.JPG

Kilgon, as promised, here are the dimensions from my Addco 990 sway bar for vehicles fitted with factory rear sway bars. I thought abut drawings, but decided it would be easier with pictures and a tape measure. These of course will likely be different for a non sway bar car installation and that is something to be figured out at the time.

Anyway, hope this helps. From the rubber bump-stop bracket bottom edge to the C/L of first bolt hole is 6 1/4" and to the rear hole 9". ( I thought I took a better pic to show that) The mount bracket will have slotted holes, so if you're out a tad, it won't make a lot of difference, Those dimensions are just with a tape, so not too accurate, but close. See pics. and ask questions if needed. The side to side measurements I just used the clearest piece of the tape to show.

View attachment 50744

View attachment 50745

View attachment 50746
Thanks for getting that for me Geoff.  I have two car shows I'm going to this weekend and then on Monday I'll be putting the car back up on ramps and jack stands to do some clean up and possibly  new shocks.  I will figure out what exactly I have then and work from there.  I recall seeing some holes right where they welded the brackets on.  Might have what I need just have to clean up the mess.      

Thanks for getting that for me Geoff.  I have two car shows I'm going to this weekend and then on Monday I'll be putting the car back up on ramps and jack stands to do some clean up and possibly  new shocks.  I will figure out what exactly I have then and work from there.  I recall seeing some holes right where they welded the brackets on.  Might have what I need just have to clean up the mess.      
Sounds like a plan, man! 

Car show, WTF are they? ALL canceled around here, NO gatherings allowed anywhere, for the time being anyway. We're all hoping for positive change soon though.

View attachment 50744

View attachment 50745

View attachment 50746
Just a update.  I got the car back on the ramps and stands and got around today to checking the added on sway bar and the front hole in the frame in the below picture is at 6 1/4" back.  Based on the location of the bracket it looks like the sway bar is sitting back from where the original should be and maybe came off of an earlier year mustang or some other model.  Another issue I might have is were the exhaust goes over the axle. It looks like if the sway bar goes where it belongs my exhaust will be in the way. I wouldn't aspect anything less! LOL.    I've contacted Addco and they are going to send me the dimensions for the sway bar.   Once I get those I can determine what might or might not work.  

20210505_111825_resized.jpg

20210505_111841_resized.jpg

Just a update.  I got the car back on the ramps and stands and got around today to checking the added on sway bar and the front hole in the frame in the below picture is at 6 1/4" back.  Based on the location of the bracket it looks like the sway bar is sitting back from where the original should be and maybe came off of an earlier year mustang or some other model.  Another issue I might have is were the exhaust goes over the axle. It looks like if the sway bar goes where it belongs my exhaust will be in the way. I wouldn't aspect anything less! LOL.    I've contacted Addco and they are going to send me the dimensions for the sway bar.   Once I get those I can determine what might or might not work.  

View attachment 51021
Well, my guess it ain't Mustang, or as you say, for an earlier model. I would like to see where it connects to the spring or spring mount as I know it will be different to a car with sway a bar.

I think I posted pics of the new correct (replacement) bar. If you need more detail, let me know. 

Ok, I did not post a pic of the actual bar, just the location of holes. Here's a pic.

IMG_1786.JPG

IMG_1774.JPG

Well, my guess it ain't Mustang, or as you say, for an earlier model. I would like to see where it connects to the spring or spring mount as I know it will be different to a car with sway a bar.

I think I posted pics of the new correct (replacement) bar. If you need more detail, let me know. 

Ok, I did not post a pic of the actual bar, just the location of holes. Here's a pic.

View attachment 51023

View attachment 51024

Spring mount plate is correct type.  Just don't know where the bar came from. 

20210505_131402_resized.jpg

20210505_131236_resized.jpg

For what it’s worth, the 996 model (the design for those not originally equipped with the rear bar) goes straight across frame to frame without the “humps”.  Don’t know if that would be better for your exhaust fit or not.  I couldn’t find pictures or video online of the 996, but here is a video somebody posted of the 995, which is the same design but with measurements for a 68 Cougar:

After talking with Addco, I went with the 996 instead of the factory style replacement, for two reasons:

1.) I really wanted a 3/4” bar.  Everything I have read on bar choice recommends a stiffer bar in the front than rear, in our type of bar that (mostly) means a thicker one up front.  My front bar is an inch - and I really like it - but the Addco factory-style rear bar at 7/8” was too close for me.

2.) my exhaust routing in between the frame rails, and brake line routing and rear disc spacing worried me.  If someone is getting the factory style bar, they should consider that it might make wider aftermarket wheels or rear disc conversions a little more complicated.  Might not in all cases of course, but it looked like it would have with mine (I have later model Bullitt wheels and an Explorer rear disc setup).

I haven’t installed my 996 yet (have spent my recent weekends building a farm fence), but I did torment myself about which rear bar to use. I wasn’t thrilled with the 996’s mount on the spring but have not heard of any issues with it.

As touched on in other posts (and this is more for people searching these threads in the future), there is another type of design (see below) where the sway bar outer mounts are to the frame and the inner ones are on the axle.  I ruled this out as I was worried about my brake lines along the axle interfering with the mounts on the axle, and had heard that those mounts can rotate on the axle if not welded.

D90B3902-0365-434C-888A-0BCB365A6413.jpeg

Spring mount plate is correct type.  Just don't know where the bar came from. 

View attachment 51026
 I see, but I'm wondering about the extra U shackles over the spring. What is that for? Just curious.

I'm thinking that if and when you cut off the welded on brackets, the original bolt holes may be there and have the threaded nuts still intact inside. That would give you the same location as on mine...... if that is still relevant to the bar you decide to buy.

I see, but I'm wondering about the extra U shackles over the spring. What is that for? Just curious.

I'm thinking that if and when you cut off the welded on brackets, the original bolt holes may be there and have the threaded nuts still intact inside. That would give you the same location as on mine...... if that is still relevant to the bar you decide to buy.
The sway bar that came with my car attaches to the springs via U shackles. Here is a picture. I assume that they provide that method of attachment in case one doesn't have the extra ear in the spring plate.

20190213_132610.jpg

The sway bar that came with my car attaches to the springs via U shackles. Here is a picture. I assume that they provide that method of attachment in case one doesn't have the extra ear in the spring plate.

View attachment 51030
That is the the same design as the Addco 996.  Very curious if you like the performance of it..?

Back