Original 1971 429 Cobra Jet engine........should be reunited with the original chassis!!

Ah, so I wasn't wrong for a change. T is Metuchen  as I thought. 

As Matt just said, if it is an H not an F then this is going to get interesting. I'm staying tuned!

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

What is the stamp on the heads?  They should be DOOE-R if the engine is from a CJ car.

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

Yes, they are D0OE-R and the date code is SPEC. It appears the heads have never been off the engine, and the seller also stated this.

Ford: Built without a Bailout - Best bumper sticker ever!

That alone is a great news. These are made of pure unobtanium :D

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

8 hours ago, mjlan said:

Ha!

That's a good catch with the possible H in the partial!

With four horizontal lines in that "double-struck" F, it can't be an H. Also, did Lorain (H plant code) ever build any 429 CJ motors? I think they were all built at Dearborn by 1971, even for Torino Cobras. Inputs please!

I just added this document to the original thread. For all of you guys like me that like the numbers and stuff!!!

1971 429 CJ description.jpg

I have been trying to figure out what the 'SPEC' date code on CJ/ SCJ heads means. What I have come across is not consistent.

Theory #1 is that 'SPEC' were early heads. If this is the case they would be on early '70 MY engines (so engines with '69 casting dates and build dates) as the first CJ's were in the Torino line. I think this is unlikely.

Theory #2 is that the 'SPEC' dates codes were for SCJ heads that were earmarked to get guide plates. This seems to me more likely as it would indicate something different in the head casting process. But I don't think there is a difference in the head itself between a non-adjustable CJ head and an SCJ head  that had non-shouldered studs and guide plates.

If you have confirmed that the block is indeed a four-bolt main block and the heads are 'SPEC' date codes to me that indicates an SCJ engine, not a CJ.

What type of camshaft is in it? 

If you've had the intake off, any chance you have the block casting date?

I'm always interested in engine dating of possible original engines. My J-code engine is long gone and shopping for parts is more rewarding when you can find stuff with dates that possible match what would have come originally.

Matt

Bring-A-Trailer is getting very close to starting the auction. Might be up by this weekend. I'll send the link as soon as I know. Thanks to all for participating in this discussion.

The auction is now live on Bring a Trailer: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-ford-mustang-429-cobra-jet-c-code/

Thanks to all for contributing. I hope this motor can be reunited with its original chassis, or put back in a 1971 mustang/cougar soon!