Aluminum Intake for 351C 4V torque specs - different from cast intake?

Hi guys, 

as I want to install my refreshed Offenhauser (5964 - Offenhauser 360 Degree Single-Quad High-Rise) intake tomorrow there have been the question for the torque specs with the original bolts. Is it different than for the cast intakes or the same? I have forgotten about it, last I installed it is 6 years ago... 

Thanks for some advice! 

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

No difference in the toque specs. To reiterate, be sure to use the tightening sequence in the shop manual. There are two torque values, as the intake has two bolt sizes. 

@all: 

Thank you for the response! 

So I will take a look on my shop manual and do what they describe as I did 6 years ago. As I recall there are these two different torque values: 

5/16 in. Intake Manifold Bolts 21-25 ft.-lbs.
3/8 in. Intake Manifold Bolts 28-33 ft.-lbs.

But I will have a look on my shop manuals anyway. 

This time I will do the "China Walls" with RTV instead of the rubber or cork gaskets as I have had no luck with these between an aluminum intake and the block. 

Two more question about installation: 

- Original bolts torqued down with some engine oil in the threads or pure and dry? 

- Is it necessary to retorque the intake bolts when the engine once has warmed up after initial firing up or is it once torqued down, three times checked and ready? Hence with all completely installed again retorque wouldn't that easy as now... 

Thanks 

Tim

I use a LITTLE bit of engine oil on the threads and on the bottom of the bolt hex head. I also use hardened washers under the bolt head.

I torque the bolts per the manual or the intake manufacturer. Heat cycle it a few times and re-torque with the engine cold. Chuck

• Like 1

Thanks, Chuck! 

That's what I will do :thumb:

Tim

For their aluminum intake for the 351C Edelbrock recommends 18 - 20 ft-lbs for all of the bolts, achieved in two steps.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Done :thumb: 

IMG_20210509_000141.thumb.jpg.438bfb4de2244805baf5144387c1ae3f.jpg

Thanks @all for their recommandations. I used plenty of good rtv and the torque specs out of the '73 shop manual. Worst part of it was cleaning the heads and the valley off of the old gasket and rtv materials... 

Tim