Headers for a 429 CJ/SCJ

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1, 429 Super Cobra Jet, 4.11, Detroit Locker
Since I am unable to locate a passenger side exhaust manifold for my 429 SCJ (the original was repaired years ago and done incorrectly; welder said it could not be repaired to last), I'm thinking of using a set of headers. Found a set that will fit at Summit. Does anyone here have experience with these headers or similar units?

Thank you.

I have the ones that are in 3 pieces. (first 2 tubes going under the crossmember)  They are freaking expensive for what they are and they go very low.

If you can find shorties, stainless, often made for 460 applications in other cars I suggest you go that direction. Might require some fab to make them fit but will be better than these Hookers.

You might have found others tho, you did not say which ones you found...

PS: you should send me these broken cast iron headers ;)

I'm using FPA mid-length headers.
Beautiful pieces, is it polished stainless or chrome?

@ponypastor Before install even if not in your near future plan, add a bung for an O2 sensor while they are out.

My EFI Sniper changed my 351c fuel economy drastically (not to mention other modern benefits). I already have one waiting for my fresh 429 and expect it to help cure its monster ridiculous thirst as well, at least a bit. So may be one day you'll want that too and as a bung cost just 3 buxx... it's the perfect time to weld one now that you leave originality land. ;)

Since I am unable to locate a passenger side exhaust manifold for my 429 SCJ (the original was repaired years ago and done incorrectly; welder said it could not be repaired to last), I'm thinking of using a set of headers. Found a set that will fit at Summit. Does anyone here have experience with these headers or similar units?

Thank you.
You need to take into consideration what you are wanting.  Shorty's or mid- length will give you a better sound over stock and are easier to put on then long tubes. They also will work with your current exhaust with minimum  modifications. 

Long tube headers will provide more hp in the mid to upper rpm range and will give you a completely different sound.  They can be a pia to put on and you will need to redo your exhaust to make them work.  And as Fabrice mentioned above they sit low under the car.   

I have Hookers long tubes 6115's on my 460 and love the performance and sound of them. The only thing I would change next time I replace them will be to get them ceramic coated or at least wrap them to help cut down on the heat under the hood.  The passenger side get a little warm from the headers on that side plus the heater hoses running right above them.   

Hello Guys,

I’m currently running a set of Crites on a 71429CJ, they were the easiest headers I have ever installed on any car by far. Simply install one tube at a time loosely and slide collectors on and tighten up. I did have to ding the number five tube a bit too clear the stock length oil filter. Problem is this car is about 99% street car and they hang pretty low for the street. They are ceramic coated and have about 200 miles, no damage. Going to sell them.

Bought a set of the FPA mid-length and super impressed with the craftsmanship, welds are awesome and ports are clean. 
My car is also a PS car, was wondering if TommyK has any tips about placing the ding for PS box?

Thanks 

8442E505-7C84-4C39-96DB-06B5B81BA1EE.jpeg

To ding or not to ding? That is the question.

I used aftermarket motor mounts and I think that played a role in the need to clearance one tube for the PS box. I would test fit and assess. You may not need to do anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back