Need help finding vinyl top trim/ molding!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilpeteydastang

Reaction score
So the kid I got my 72 Coupe from decided that he wanted to get rid of the vinyl roof... he took the trim off with pliers and a grinding wheel... It was all destroyed and after he ripped the vinyl off he let it sit in the rain. Needless to say there was a lot of rust repair to be done. I want to put it back to a vinyl roof. However, I cannot find the20210510_235250.jpg20210510_235501.jpg trim pieces. Anybody know of a source or someone who has some?

Wow, 

there went somebody crazy with the grinding wheel...  :classic_blink:

Before you add a vinyl roof again please look for the dents on the roof. They would be visible with a vinyl top, too... 

For the moldings: 

Here are some real nice fellas as vendors who have some parts cars in their backyards. They have almost everything. So chances are good, they have what you need. 

Look for the marketplace category here, there are some vendors listed. For your purposes I would recommend Mike from Motorcity Mustang and Don from Ohio Mustang Supply. Please write them a Message, they will answer soon. 

And: it would be nice to introduce yourself in the Welcome section! 

We are ready to help  :thumb:

Biggest issue I found when putting my roof back on was the clips as they are not reproduced make sure you get them with the trims , I tried using ones from a 71 to 73 cougar as they are reproduced but they are different .

A member just bought a 73 Grande parts car you might check on the trim. There are two different styles of vinyl roof on the coupe also. I do think they repo the clips now. The originals were T posts welded on but you can just use screws or rivets to put back but you will need the positions for sure. Once the clips are in place the trim just snaps on and off.
After you put the new vinyl roof on don't was he car with running water just wipe with clean water no soap. My vinyl roof has no rust under it and still looks great. You can use leather preserver and shoe polish to keep it looking new.

Also when you put the vinyl roof on if you need a head liner you need to do before you install the roof rails. Don't use the foam tape it sucks and never worked when new. I use the 3-M strip calk two beads and it works and lasts forever. Not 100% sure but I think Kee Tops in Charlotte makes the vinyl tops and also convertible tops for the Mustang. Made in U.S.A. for sure.

DSC_0942 (2).JPG

DSC_0945 (3).JPG

DSC_0946 (3).JPG

DSC_0961.JPG

DSC_0962.JPG

Back