Hello to all blue oval fans

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GT Comet

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a 72 Q code Mach I that I’ve owned since the early 90’s and would like to clarify some of the options it has.

Looking forward to discussing Mustang’s with everyone.

Thanks 

GT

Welcome from Oregon.

You'll find a lot of helpful people on this forum, so feel free to start asking. The search function works very well, and you'll be amazed what information is available.

By the way, we like Mustang pictures (hint, hint).

David thanks for the cheerful welcome, My car has a sorted past (crashed, parted out and a half hearted rebuild) My questions are about the options it now has, did it come from Ford with them or just transferred from a donor car.

I’ll start with what I know, with a vin search I found this information (see pictures), this information looks correct to the car.

My questions are about the following options 

Rear trunk spoiler (deck lid has been painted inside and out so not original to car)

Air conditioning (shortly after buying the car I ran into a guy that said someone had him install the AC dash)

Ram Air hood and components 

Rear swaybar and staggered shocks (did they come with the Mach I package or were they a add on options?)

GT

A6663EE7-8DCE-42B3-8C11-B55F8A914A93.png

4604EAE6-2E97-4AC9-A18A-80E3FE7F5CF7.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Don & Mike, thanks for the warm welcome. Although I share your enthusiasm for pictures I’m hesitant about posting them due to a incident last year on a Facebook group. 
So please be patient with me.

GT

Here is a picture of the Factory Invoice that was suggest you get along with the Marti report. The invoice is $25.00 I think and there is only one per car. You can see at the top what was included with the Mach 1 option which was actually an appearance package. You have to buy options to get performance. There is a new copy of the door sticker on the invoice also I forget what they cost.

136055153_10157563576247132_8841812015794010529_o.jpg

I will, but I don’t believe that Marti reports live up to all the hype.
Hello and welcome from SW Ontario. 

Marti reports may sometimes be questionable in some aspects, but they are likely the best direct info on your car you'll be able to find. Just my opinion, get one or not get one, that's your choice.

Here is a picture of the Factory Invoice that was suggest you get along with the Marti report. The invoice is $25.00 I think and there is only one per car. You can see at the top what was included with the Mach 1 option which was actually an appearance package. You have to buy options to get performance. There is a new copy of the door sticker on the invoice also I forget what they cost.

View attachment 51329
I’m I missing something? You said “the Mach 1 option which was actually an appearance package. You have to buy options to get performance.” when I asked if “Rear swaybar and staggered shocks (did they come with the Mach I package or were they a add on options?)”

Then I found this response in another thread “Should have staggered shocks as part of the Mach I package and NASA hood without locks with the Q code option”

D6C5F31A-1EA8-4B87-8D12-74C026E2229C.jpeg

The competition suspension was standard on the Mach1 (regardless of engine size), '71-72 Boss/HO, C and J 429's. The competition suspension was an option on all other Mustangs except the 250 6 cyl and was a mandatory option on any F60x15" equipped Mustang. The staggered rear shocks and rear stabilizer bar were not a stand-alone option but were included with all 71-73 4bl engines. The plate that allowed the right shock to be placed in front of the axle housing is not included in non-4bl cars.

For 1972 only, the ram air style hood was standard for the Q engine regardless of body style.

Hello and welcome from SW Ontario. 

Marti reports may sometimes be questionable in some aspects, but they are likely the best direct info on your car you'll be able to find. Just my opinion, get one or not get one, that's your choice.
I’m trying to find out what options can be confirmed by the vin and/or door sticker so I can validate the information on the Marti report when received.

I’m trying to find out what options can be confirmed by the vin and/or door sticker so I can validate the information on the Marti report when received.
In that case, I would buy a copy of "The Mustang and Cougar Tagbook (1965-1973 models) by Kevin Marti. You can get that from most vendors like NPD or maybe CJ Pony, (or perhaps Amazon.com) Again it may not be perfect either, but will tell you what your door tag codes are. A place to start anyway.

Also look for the body buck tag usually mounted to the radiator support by a single screw. It was used by the factory workers as the car went down the line....and the Marti will tell you what it left the factory with (but I have heard of some incorrect cars.....I can easily imagine as a car went down the line that the workers did not always get it right).

Also look for the body buck tag usually mounted to the radiator support by a single screw. It was used by the factory workers as the car went down the line....and the Marti will tell you what it left the factory with (but I have heard of some incorrect cars.....I can easily imagine as a car went down the line that the workers did not always get it right).
I’ll look, but I think it’s had a new saddle & right apron put on after being crashed.

Back