QA1's on the Way

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mach1s

Reaction score
My Car
1969 Mach 1 351W
1970 Mach 1 351C
1971 Mach 1 351C
Summit Racing was having a sale on QA1 suspension stuff and I have been looking at there coil overs for some time. Well.....the time was now. Regular price was $629.95 and they were on sale for $566.96. I had to bite! They are expected the week of the 25th.  Can't wait to see what difference they make in handling and ride 
qa1-ms401-10350c_xl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Arrived yesterday. Will install this weekend!! I will post some pics of the install!

QA1.jpg

Ok. Started Saturday and finished today (Sunday) installation was pretty easy with some mechanical ability. Safety is something everyone needs to follow when completing or working on vehicles. With that said, here is the install. 

1: measure original ride height from floor to wheel opening at wheels center. 
2: Put car on stands and remove wheels. 
3: remove sway bar links on both sides. 
4: support lower control arm with floor jack. 
5: remove upper shock mount and bushings. 
6: remove lower shock mounts. 
7. Remove shock tower top/strut tower brace and remove shock. 
8: remove shock tower outer cover. 
9: install spring compressor and compress spring. 
10: remove lower spring perch. 

11: remove coil spring. 
12: clean area, make sure upper coil spring insulator comes off with coil. 
13: install upper coil over mount under strut braces  

14: put anti seize on lower shock threads where adjustment nuts will be and install lock ring with raised portion up, stainless washer then adjustment nut with collar up  coat all mating surfaces with anti seize. (Putting nut to lowest portion of shock will give you about a 3” drop)
15: install coil on shock and upper spring insulator ring. Extend shock to full length. Put assembled unit into place (rotate lower mount as needed) . 
16: install hardware on lower shock mount onto upper control arm and torque to spec. 
17: jack up lower control arm until upper shock mount is aligned and insert hardware, torque to spec  

18: reinstall outer shock tower cover and torque to spec  

19: reinstall sway bar end links after both sides are complete  

20: check that all hardware is torqued to spec and install tires.

21: remove car from jack stands and lower to ground . Either bounce on  front or move car a bit to seat the suspension. Recheck ride height and adjust  to liking.
22: be sure to torque lug nuts before driving on road. 
23:  adjust shocks with knob on side  specs are in the instruction and this setting will make all the difference in the world.  
24: enjoy the ride  

I hope this covers everything. I will edit it as needed . I found that I should have replaced my upper control arms as they looked like they could use to be replaced. My lower spring perches were horrible as seen I pics. Easier to replace now then after install . I will attach pics in next post. I have not been able to go out and drive it much but the little I did tells me I Love these things. I need to play with the adjustment more but I started on 10 and so far have dialed it back to 8 clicks. I started on the lowest drop just to see what I could do then raised them 1” to where it is now. (As seen in pics). I did this conversion because I wanted the adjustability of ride not to lower my car. I found that I like my car 1.5” lower . My car started at 27-1/4”and the 1st pic is 24-1/8 (3” drop). The second pic is 26” which I’m calling good. Now I just have to drop the rear about an inch and I can call it good  let me know what you think  

1st pic is all the shit that was stick in the shock tower cover after I took it off and tipped it upside down. 

second pic is how bad my spring perches were. 

AC4B76E4-0759-43A5-B44B-809339C5FCC1.jpeg

1FA6FD2A-071F-47DD-9D62-5A3CEA4EA388.jpeg

Looks awesome, love that stance!

The only thing I don't understand, is how you can mount such beautiful pieces on such rusty towers.
Wish I could do this at times. The reason you drive and me push my cars around :D

I have driven this car on almost every sunny day for the last for the last 25 years. Its not a trailer queen of a show winner. A little surface rust is not much of a concern to me. When I get around to replacing the control arms I will more than likely clean and paint the area but for now  WE DRIVE !!

Back