Help picking out mag 500 wheel and tire package.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giantpune

Reaction score
Its time for new tires on my 73 mustang.  Apparently, between the time I put the tires on and now, these sizes stopped being popular.  Nobody in town carries my sizes.  They're a special order and its gonna run me north of $950 for 4 new tires.

I figured that was my sign to start thinking about getting a different set of rims and switch to a more popular size.  I'm looking at the magnum 500 wheel and tire sets available online.

The sets at CJpony are 15x7 and 15x8 with 4.25" and 4.50" backspacing. And 16x8 sets with 4.5" backspacing.  I presume the sets they sell will install on a 73 mustang without using spacers and fit like they're supposed to?

They have a note that these 15" rims may not clear if you want to swap your rear brakes to discs.  I would like to do rear discs at some point in the future.  How bad is the 15x8 and 16x8 rear wheels with 4.5" backspacing likely to hurt me when I start looking at rear disc brakes?

I would purchase at least a 16" Magnum 500 set. There are more tire options available in 16" sizes. I bought my Magnums in 1996 and only 15" rim sizes were available then from 7" widths up to 10" widths. Make sure when you have them balanced it is done with an adaptor that uses the lug holes to mount the wheel/tire assembly on balancer. If located by the center hole with the typical cone it will not balance correctly.

Ron

Try Summit Racing. I bought my Magnum 500's from them although it was about 4 years ago. still worth checking out.
This is an old post, May 2021, so my be irrelevant now.

Hi, I suggest to use 235/60 /15 for the rears and 225/60/15 for the front ones!

On our 1969 Shelby GT500 we have bias ply (period correct reproduction) F60 x 15 tires all the way around. Our 1973 Mach 1 has P235R60 x 15 radials all the way around. Both vehicles have Magnum 500 15" x 7" wheels. I wanted to use the same tires all the way around so I could fully rotate the tires front to rear.

Back