Headers and AOD

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
351C 4V - C6
Blue with Blue interior
Curious if anyone here has the combo I am looking at. My car is the 351C 4V and I am using the Hooker 6915 headers on it which clear the C6. But I am thinking about building an AOD for the car and Im curious if it fits between the headers. If I remember correctly the AOD is a little wider but I cant remember for sure. So curious if anyone here has a similar combo and has done the swap. 

My combo in my 69 vert has 302 and AOD.  I use Headman shorties and we had to modify the collector sections by angling them out just a few degrees.  I cut them and we welded them back at the required angle.

Ya, Im hoping that the AOD can squeeze in there without having to modify the headers but if needed then I guess thats what will happen. I just have them ceramic coated so would be nicer if I didnt need to modify them. 

Just went to garage for you:

Both in cm and inches.

At the linkage, which isn't on my AOD atm, I recall it doesn't go out as much as the C6.

Pretty much similar widths, you should not have any clearance issues I think.

Hope this helps.

IMG_1426.jpegIMG_1425.jpegIMG_1424.jpeg

If the Hooker Comps are the same configuration for both 2V & 4V engines, you shouldn't have any issues.  Here's my 351C-2V with Hooker Comps and AOD, fitted up to a Pypes 2.5" stainless exhaust w/X-pipe.  I kept the 2V heads, but there's not too much 'stock' left in there. ;)

View attachment 25553

View attachment 26901

View attachment 29591

View attachment 25554

View attachment 25555

They're close, but I haven't had any heat issues, as the ceramic-coating really keeps the temps low (the laser thermometer at various points on each of the headers hasn't seen over 250 degrees).

Hope this helps!

Back