Instrument cluster connector

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here you go.

B3

white/blue

LH front turn

B4

green/white

RH front turn

B5

black/green

cvr power

B6

yellow/white

fuel sending line

B9

white/red

oil pressure

B10

green/yellow

courtesy lamps

B11

purple/white

dual brake warning lamp

B12

red/white

temp sending unit

B13

red/yellow

lamp power

B14

black

ground

B17

green/black

high beam lamp

B18

blue/red

dash lamps

Awesome, Thank you both! 

One other question... I cut the resistor wire before I realized it was a resistor wire. How much trouble am I in? 
You'll have to butt-splice it with another non-used wire to give the splice mechanical strength.  The resistor wire is a single-strand and can't be crimped by itself.  That's the purpose of the black wire that goes with it and doesn't go anywhere in the harness except under the tape.

You'll have to butt-splice it with another non-used wire to give the splice mechanical strength.  The resistor wire is a single-strand and can't be crimped by itself.  That's the purpose of the black wire that goes with it and doesn't go anywhere in the harness except under the tape.
Is the length going to matter? It's about 5-6" long at the moment. 

That resistor wire needs to be 9.6 ohms, give or take an ohm.  Measure from the end that is cut off to the ACC signal at the fuse box (interior clips).

I'm having issues with my gas gage. At the moment it's not working. I'm trying to sort through the diagram and seeing circuit 297 which appears to be the resistor wire and circuit 60 that is also black with yellow dots. My sender wire goes to circuit 29 and I have power to 297. Should the power go to circuit 60? 

Circuit 297 provides power to the instrument voltage regulator. Circuit 60 then provides the reduced and regulated voltage to the gauges. Circuit 29 (yellow/white stripe) then runs from the fuel gauge to the fuel sending unit. 

If the oil pressure and temperature gauges work the instrument voltage regulator is good. The most likely causes of a non-functioning fuel gauge is the sending unit or a connection between the gauge and sending unit.

Temporarily grounding the yellow/white stripe wire at the sending unit will show full indication. Do not leave this connected for more than a few seconds, or the gauge will be damaged. A safer way do do it is to ground it through a 10 ohm resistor, which will show a full tank.

Is circuit 297 the resistor wire? It ties into 12v from the light green w/ red circuit 904. 

I'm trying to tie up some loose ends with the "painless" harness install. 

Gas gage and turn signals don't work at the moment... IMO the gas gage is higher on the importance level for now. 

Is circuit 297 the resistor wire? It ties into 12v from the light green w/ red circuit 904. 

I'm trying to tie up some loose ends with the "painless" harness install. 

Gas gage and turn signals don't work at the moment... IMO the gas gage is higher on the importance level for now. 
Yes, wire 297 is resistor wire from ignition switch to C-211 on non tach/guage system.  The wire 297 from wiper switch to connector C-307 is not shown as a resistor wire on the 1973_full.pdf, but I think it is.  Maybe you could verify that?  I can't tell if you have gauges or lights.

Ken    71fast

Last edited by a moderator:
My car has a light cluster, aftermarket gages. I'm working from the wiring diagram and it looks like 297 is a resistor wire from the C-211 connector to the ignition switch accessory terminal connector C-309. 

Only the portion of circuit 297 that feeds the instrument voltage regulator is a resistor wire. The resistor wire that runs to the ignition coil is part of circuit 16 (red/light green stripe).

Back