New to Mustangs But not Fords

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Grande will undergo three phase build process. Phase 1 is complete (driver). Phase 2 is interior/exterior restoration. Phase 3 is ++ performance.
Hello:

I picked up a new project car, a 1973 Mustang Grande. It’s rough and I’m not settled with my plans for it. I hope this site gives me good ideas. I’ve restored a 69 Torino fastback and an 68 Ranchero. So, not too far from the fold. I’m glad there is a site for these model years; not much on the other Mustang sites.

87A67CCC-A866-417F-9A7A-AA876736D17B.jpeg

Welcome from MO! My first car was a 71 coupe (not Grande). Looking forward to seeing tour progress!

Welcome from NC. Glad to have you!

I personally dig the Grandes because of the vinyl top (though I might be tempted to just use a textured paint combined with the trim to achieve the effect with less long term rust).

Since you asked for ideas, there’s one I liked a lot... I am not usually a pinstripe guy, but I saw a picture of a Grande with a little pinstripe that really helped define the quarter panel for me (see below). I think that treatment with a bit more of a raked stance looks amazing. 

Anyway, I look forward to seeing your progress. 

3D946703-8431-4531-883F-B15563904398.jpeg

By the way, looks like your dog also has a vinyl top!

Thank you all. Yes my girl had “licking an injury too much issues” so she was in cone hell. She’s fully recovered now.

This weekend I’ll decide if I want to purchase a drivetrain donor 1988 Thunderbird 5l. I know it’s not a mass air car, but I like a challenge. I’ll start a build thread if I pull the trigger and buy it so I can get the wealth of knowledge from this site; I’m sure this is not the first time for this swap.

Thanks again for the welcome 😎

One thing of note, if I go the donor route, I’ll have a mostly complete 351c 2v engine available if someone needs one. It’s the numbers matching engine, but I know someone needs it more than me. I will be needing several parts (missing with purchase) so I’ll be willing to trade.

Someone mentioned the pin stripe. That was part of the Grande package they all had pen stripe. If you do not use running water to wash the car the top will last forever. The one on my Mach 1 is original and zero rust. If you get good paint coverage under the top no reason to rust.

View attachment 51685
Shows how much I know. Had no idea the high pinstripe was stock. I like it; really accentuates the quarter for me. 

David, I’ve always liked your vinyl top in the pictures, very much. I get what you’re saying about the water, but my cars tend to see rain regularly, as I have always used them to some extent as drivers. It’s why I don’t buy rare option codes.

I’ve had my eye on a 73 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus for a while. Kinda in the mood for a bulky 70s Mopar. If I buy it, I will likely mod it a great deal, and yes, I am considering a textured paint to mimic the vinyl so I don’t have to worry about water and condensation under the vinyl.

Thank you all. Yes my girl had “licking an injury too much issues” so she was in cone hell. She’s fully recovered now.

This weekend I’ll decide if I want to purchase a drivetrain donor 1988 Thunderbird 5l. I know it’s not a mass air car, but I like a challenge. I’ll start a build thread if I pull the trigger and buy it so I can get the wealth of knowledge from this site; I’m sure this is not the first time for this swap.

Thanks again for the welcome 😎
Glad your dog is feeling better. We’ve been through it with our pets as well. One time a vet actually put one on a hen we had, who kept pecking at an injury on her back. Their heads are smaller than their neck so the vet flipped the cone around and made straps at the wide end to loop around the hen’s legs!

Again, looking forward to seeing your project advance!

Back